Old October 3rd 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Stone[_2_] Steve Stone[_2_] is offline

Default Hard Times and Ham Radio

wrote:

Consider that:

I believe that some of the cyclic activity you note is related to folks
being drafted into the military and coming out with radio skills that
were almost directly transferable to personal use in amateur radio.

Another item could be the availability of surplus military gear or a
technology shift that made it easier for people to get into amateur radio.

I'm sure hard times also has the effect you describe.