Old September 2nd 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default FCC license for Midland GXT1000VP4?

In article , Steve Bonine wrote:

Bottom line: How much range do you need? If your communication will be
over open water, the 1/2 watt that the FRS provides will be more than
adequate, and you can probably find much cheaper units at your local big
box store that will fill the bill. If you have a need to communicate
over longer distances, which I can't see happening on a canoe trip, go
with a more powerful unit that supports GMRS and get the license. But
do not believe the claims on the web site of 36 mile range; you might
get 36 miles over open water with full power on GMRS, but in general use
I would expect no more than a couple of miles at best.

I'd expect a 36-mile range only if you're standing on top of a
mountain, talking with someone else who is also standing on top of a
mountain, with a clear line-of-sight between the two mountain tops.

In cluttered ground-level applications, I agree, a couple of miles is
about the best you can expect. In hilly terrain it's likely to be
less than that.

I don't think you will run into any problems with channel overcrowding
on FRS channels, especially in the wilds of Montana. Pick something
other than "1" and you should be fine. And should you run into another
group that has picked the same channel, all you need to do is change.

And "blocked" is rather a misnomer. The radio doesn't know if you have
a license. FRS and GMRS share some channels, and the license is
required to use high power.

There are also some GMRS-only channels. A license is required to use
these at *any* power level. I don't know whether the Midland radio in
question has access to these channels at all.

See the following URL for the FCC's take on the issue:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...general_mobile

A GMRS license currently costs $85, and is good for five years. The
license covers an adult applicant and his/her immediate family.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO