Old January 7th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] is offline

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:17 pm, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

Now that element 2 is history, how do we promote the
mode?

Ten Ways:

1) Use Morse Code on the air.

OK

2) Work on your Morse Code skills. Got a Code Proficency certificate?

OK

5) Conduct Morse Code training - on the air

OK

6) Elmer anybody who wants help

OK

(Note, I didn't list everything due to some hidden agenda, the ones
I did highlight are based on personal involvement.)

"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preserve

our standards and values - we have to do it.

OK, you lost me here. Are these the same standards and values that
were propagated by the code tested licensees on the upper phone
portions on HF?

And in another post you wrote:
I think the big issue with Morse Code testing was that most would-be
hams don't already have the skills needed to use the mode, even at a
basic level. So having a test, even a basic 5 wpm test, meant actually
learning a new skill. Unlike "book learning", skills take practice and
active engagement of the student to learn.

Isn't that a bit revisionist?

Entry level at the time meant simple equipment. Getting a CW transmitter
on the air was the first step. "How can I communicate with a hand key?"
With Morse code of course. Plugging a microphone into the key jack won't
work.

Secondly, the FCC (and I use that term broadly rather than have to list
every iteration of their existence) also wanted a trained pool of radio
operators. And as Jeff Davis said, Morse Code was the lingua franca of
communications back in the early days.

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a celluloid
eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

*With a tongue and cheek reference to the costumes the two guys wore on
the Jay Leno Show during a Cellphone Texting VS Morse Code contest.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com