Old January 7th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default New club for Morse enthusiasts

wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:17 pm, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

Now that element 2 is history, how do we promote the
mode?

Ten Ways:

1) Use Morse Code on the air.

OK

2) Work on your Morse Code skills. Got a Code Proficency certificate?

OK

5) Conduct Morse Code training - on the air

OK

6) Elmer anybody who wants help

OK

(Note, I didn't list everything due to some hidden agenda, the ones
I did highlight are based on personal involvement.)

"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preserve

our standards and values - we have to do it.

OK, you lost me here. Are these the same standards and values that
were propagated by the code tested licensees on the upper phone
portions on HF?

And in another post you wrote:
I think the big issue with Morse Code testing was that most would-be
hams don't already have the skills needed to use the mode, even at a
basic level. So having a test, even a basic 5 wpm test, meant actually
learning a new skill. Unlike "book learning", skills take practice and
active engagement of the student to learn.

Isn't that a bit revisionist?

Entry level at the time meant simple equipment. Getting a CW transmitter
on the air was the first step. "How can I communicate with a hand key?"
With Morse code of course. Plugging a microphone into the key jack won't
work.

Secondly, the FCC (and I use that term broadly rather than have to list
every iteration of their existence) also wanted a trained pool of radio
operators. And as Jeff Davis said, Morse Code was the lingua franca of
communications back in the early days.

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a celluloid
eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

*With a tongue and cheek reference to the costumes the two guys wore on
the Jay Leno Show during a Cellphone Texting VS Morse Code contest.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

Old January 7th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jan 7, 11:16 am, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:17 pm, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

Now that element 2 is history, how do we promote the
mode?

Ten Ways:

"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preserve
our standards and values - we have to do it.

OK, you lost me here. Are these the same standards and values that
were propagated by the code tested licensees on the upper phone
portions on HF?

Now you lost me!

If you're referring to the few folks who make some parts of the 'phone
bands rather nasty, consider the following:

1) Those folks aren't using Morse Code when they behave badly on the
air

2) Those folks also passed written exams that included lots of
questions about the rules & regs

And in another post you wrote:

I think the big issue with Morse Code testing was that most would-be
hams don't already have the skills needed to use the mode, even at a
basic level. So having a test, even a basic 5 wpm test, meant actually
learning a new skill. Unlike "book learning", skills take practice and
active engagement of the student to learn.

Isn't that a bit revisionist?

No, not at all.

Suppose that in 1980 someone had developed a wonderful new way to learn
Morse Code that would take a typical person from 0 to 25 wpm in 1 hour,
simply by watching a videotape.

Do you think the code tests would still have been an issue?

Entry level at the time meant simple equipment. Getting a CW transmitter
on the air was the first step. "How can I communicate with a hand key?"
With Morse code of course. Plugging a microphone into the key jack won't
work.

Not sure which time you're referring to. Or what that has to do with
the discussion. Please elaborate.

Secondly, the FCC (and I use that term broadly rather than have to list
every iteration of their existence) also wanted a trained pool of radio
operators. And as Jeff Davis said, Morse Code was the lingua franca of
communications back in the early days.

And was used by other radio services well into the 1990s. A lot depends
on what you consider "the early days".

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a celluloi

eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

Why not?

The FBI had their own HF nets using Morse Code. The military and
maritime folks used for many decades.

The main reason other services stopped using Morse Code was that they
didn't want to pay skilled operators. It was cheaper for them to buy
more-complex equipment.

But Amateur Radio is all about *operating*.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 7th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preser

ve
our standards and values - we have to do it.

OK, you lost me here. Are these the same standards and values that
were propagated by the code tested licensees on the upper phone
portions on HF?

Now you lost me!

If you're referring to the few folks who make some parts of the 'phone
bands rather nasty, consider the following:

1) Those folks aren't using Morse Code when they behave badly on the
air

2) Those folks also passed written exams that included lots of
questions about the rules & regs

Yes, but the whole argument was "Morse code makes you a better person"
Apparently not in their case.

Suppose that in 1980 someone had developed a wonderful new way to learn

Morse Code that would take a typical person from 0 to 25 wpm in 1 hour,

simply by watching a videotape.

Do you think the code tests would still have been an issue?

I'm certain that they would. All those that passed via that method of
learning would be scorned as "Drive-thru" Licensees. The standard
comments built on the "But 'real hams'" had to...." mindset.

"
With Morse code of course. Plugging a microphone into the key jack won

't
work.

Not sure which time you're referring to. Please elaborate.

[ comment about the relevancy to this discussion is at the bottom. ]

Prior to the Novice license, the easiest way to get on the air with a
limited budget and skill set was to make a simple CW transmitter. Of
course, to be able to use it, you're going to have to be able to send
and receive Morse code, unless the only QSL cards you want to receive
are from OO's and / or the FCC.

Yes, you could get your ticket, throw your key away and buy phone stuff
but it was still easier to just get on the air with Morse code.

The Novice license was introduced as a way to get on the air with a
limited skill set, and spend time ON THE AIR to give you the incentive
to upgrade your skills with the promise of frequency agility and phone
operation when you upgraded.

And as Jeff Davis said, Morse Code was the lingua franca of
communications back in the early days.

And was used by other radio services well into the 1990s. A lot depends

on what you consider "the early days".

I know, and the FAA still uses CW to ID beacons. But the write things
like ".-.. .- -..-" on the maps right next to LAX rather than force
pilots to learn Morse code.

And if I remember right, joining the military (as an example) didn't
require you to learn code to use a rifle. If you wanted to learn code
and get a different job, that was up to you.

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a
celluloid eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

Why not?

Because human life and safety is _dependent_ on quick and accurate
communications. By ANYONE.

The FBI had their own HF nets using Morse Code. The military and
maritime folks used for many decades.

The main reason other services stopped using Morse Code was that they
didn't want to pay skilled operators. It was cheaper for them to buy
more-complex equipment.

The key word here is "had". The additional expenses in the design and
deployment of the new equipment is there to remove the possibility of
human error and make things simple enough for anyone to operate.

But Amateur Radio is all about *operating*.

Operating is not all of it. Nor is operating via a specific mode.
If anything, it is all about communication and having the skill
set (both technical and operational) required to communicate in
the mode with which you are granted the right to use.

Or what that has to do with the discussion.

My comments at the beginning of this discussion were specific to my
opinion that the requirements for joining the CWops club were
restrictive and elitist. With a tongue in cheek reference to the
Masonic Lodge with their secret handshakes and rituals along with
having to be vetted by existing members.

However, as I suspected, the discussion has drifted into the standard
"People that haven't had to learn code like *I* did, or "make the
effort" (as it is sometimes referred to) are somehow less than real
hams."

People should use Morse code as a mode of communicating because it is
a skill and one they should be proud of. NOT because it somehow makes
others less than them. The same could be said of those who chose to
use SSB, AM, PSK, RTTY, FM, EME, packet radio and so forth. But, oddly
you don't hear them talking down to everyone else that do not share
their enthusiasm for their preferred mode of communication.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Old January 9th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
"The test" is long gone and FCC won't bring it back. FCC won't preser

ve
our standards and values - we have to do it.
OK, you lost me here. Are these the same standards and values that
were propagated by the code tested licensees on the upper phone
portions on HF?

Now you lost me!

If you're referring to the few folks who make some parts of the 'phone
bands rather nasty, consider the following:

1) Those folks aren't using Morse Code when they behave badly on the
air

2) Those folks also passed written exams that included lots of
questions about the rules & regs

Yes, but the whole argument was "Morse code makes you a better person"
Apparently not in their case.

I don't think "Morse code makes you a better person" was their *whole*
argument.

Let me put it another way:

There's no single one-time test that will absolutely guarantee that
everyone who passes it will be a well-behaved, law-abiding amateur
radio operator. Some bad apples will always squeak through. We see this
in professions and other walks of life that have much more
rigorous admission requirements.

But that doesn't mean testing and other license requirements have no
effect! IOW, just because a test isn't an absolutely perfect filter
doesn't mean it has no effect at all and should be removed.

Suppose that in 1980 someone had developed a wonderful new way to learn
Morse Code that would take a typical person from 0 to 25 wpm in 1 hour,
simply by watching a videotape.

Do you think the code tests would still have been an issue?

I'm certain that they would.

Perhaps I should have worded that differently. What I meant was, do you
think there would have been any real effort to get rid of them? I
don't.

All those that passed via that method of
learning would be scorned as "Drive-thru" Licensees. The standard
comments built on the "But 'real hams'" had to...." mindset.

How would anyone know who used what method to learn unless the person
told them?

Entry level at the time meant simple equipment. Getting a CW transmitt

er
on the air was the first step. "How can I communicate with a hand key?

"
With Morse code of course. Plugging a microphone into the key jack won

't
work.

Not sure which time you're referring to. Please elaborate.

[ comment about the relevancy to this discussion is at the bottom. ]

Prior to the Novice license, the easiest way to get on the air with a
limited budget and skill set was to make a simple CW transmitter. Of
course, to be able to use it, you're going to have to be able to send
and receive Morse code, unless the only QSL cards you want to receive
are from OO's and / or the FCC.

Agreed!

Yes, you could get your ticket, throw your key away and buy phone stuff
but it was still easier to just get on the air with Morse code.

"Easier" in the sense that you could do more with simple, inexpensive
HF equipment.

The Novice license was introduced as a way to get on the air with a
limited skill set, and spend time ON THE AIR to give you the incentive
to upgrade your skills with the promise of frequency agility and phone
operation when you upgraded.

Before 1951, the "standard" US amateur licenses were the Class B and C,
which became the General and Conditional. The Novice was meant as a
sort of "learner's permit" so that new hams could learn-by-doing rather
than having to go straight to 13 wpm code and the General written exam
just to get started. That's why the license wasn't renewable and had a
shorter term.

And as Jeff Davis said, Morse Code was the lingua franca of
communications back in the early days.

And was used by other radio services well into the 1990s. A lot depends
on what you consider "the early days".

I know, and the FAA still uses CW to ID beacons. But the write things
like ".-.. .- -..-" on the maps right next to LAX rather than force
pilots to learn Morse code.

What I meant is that the use of Morse Code for communication by other
radio services continued well into the 1990s.

And if I remember right, joining the military (as an example) didn't
require you to learn code to use a rifle. If you wanted to learn code
and get a different job, that was up to you.

Amateur radio isn't the military.

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical �and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a
celluloid eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

Why not?

Because human life and safety is _dependent_ on quick and accurate
communications. By ANYONE

Quick and accurate requires skill and training.

The FBI had their own HF nets using Morse Code. The military and
maritime folks used for many decades.

The main reason other services stopped using Morse Code was that they
didn't want to pay skilled operators. It was cheaper for them to buy
more-complex equipment.

The key word here is "had". The additional expenses in the design and
deployment of the new equipment is there to remove the possibility of
human error and make things simple enough for anyone to operate.

Human error is still possible; in fact, it may be more possible if
anyone is allowed to operate.

The big issue IMHO was and is co$t. Skilled personnel cost more than
the equipment that replaced them. Heck, way back in 1912, most ships
with wireless only carried one operator. The Titanic, largest ship in
the world at the time, carried only two. The reason was cost, nothing
more; it took a disaster and regulations to force the shipping
companies to man the wireless 24/7.

But Amateur Radio is all about *operating*.

Operating is not all of it.

Agreed. But operating is what you need a license for. A non-amateur
can do almost everything else.

Nor is operating via a specific mode.

Or with a specific technology, or on a specific band.

If anything, it is all about communication and having the skill
set (both technical and operational) required to communicate in
the mode with which you are granted the right to use.

Exactly! And since Morse Code is one of those modes...

Or what that has to do with the discussion.

My comments at the beginning of this discussion were specific to my
opinion that the requirements for joining the CWops club were
restrictive and elitist. With a tongue in cheek reference to the
Masonic Lodge with their secret handshakes and rituals along with
having to be vetted by existing members.

Well, we could apply for a grant from the Ministry of Silly Walks...

However, as I suspected, the discussion has drifted into the standard
"People that haven't had to learn code like *I* did, or "make the
effort" (as it is sometimes referred to) are somehow less than real
hams."

I don't see where I wrote anything like that.

Pointing out that the requirements are different now isn't saying that.
I have met many amateurs who are completely unaware of the history and
changes in Amateur Radio that led to the present system.

For example, I have met many amateurs who thought that, before
"incentive licensing", all US amateurs witha General or higher had all
privileges, dating back to the beginning of licensing. Every one was
surprised to learn that such was not the case before 1953.

People should use Morse code as a mode of communicating because it is
a skill and one they should be proud of. NOT because it somehow makes
others less than them.

Agreed!

But at the same time, it isn't wrong to have skills, use them, promote
them, and be proud of them.

The same could be said of those who chose to
use SSB, AM, PSK, RTTY, FM, EME, packet radio and so forth. But, oddly
you don't hear them talking down to everyone else that do not share
their enthusiasm for their preferred mode of communication.

I have heard and seen folks who use SSB refer to AM as "ancient
modulation"

I have heard and seen folks who use AM refer to SSB as "Donald Duck",
"slop-bucket" and other terms

I have heard and seen all sorts of derogatory terms used for those who
use and promote the use of Morse Code by those who don't use the mode.

There are lots of other examples. "Life's too short for QRP", is one -
how is a QRPer supposed to take that?

Not by all - just by some. I don't think that all should be blamed for
the actions of a few.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 9th 10, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

Suppose that in 1980 someone had developed a wonderful new way to learn
Morse Code that would take a typical person from 0 to 25 wpm in 1 hour,
simply by watching a videotape.

Do you think the code tests would still have been an issue?

I'm certain that they would. All those that passed via that method of
learning would be scorned as "Drive-thru" Licensees. The standard
comments built on the "But 'real hams'" had to...." mindset.

That is - most unfortunately - true. I was reminded again of my
"license gotten by sending in some cereal box tops" this morning. Once
I had accomplished my morning communication, I just shut down. Nobody
needs that sort of attitude.

Prior to the Novice license, the easiest way to get on the air with a
limited budget and skill set was to make a simple CW transmitter. Of
course, to be able to use it, you're going to have to be able to send
and receive Morse code, unless the only QSL cards you want to receive
are from OO's and / or the FCC.

Yes, you could get your ticket, throw your key away and buy phone stuff
but it was still easier to just get on the air with Morse code.

The Novice license was introduced as a way to get on the air with a
limited skill set, and spend time ON THE AIR to give you the incentive
to upgrade your skills with the promise of frequency agility and phone
operation when you upgraded.

Or, at least in the last decade, legally take all tests in one test
session and get the "highest" class license. shrug

I know, and the FAA still uses CW to ID beacons. But the write things
like ".-.. .- -..-" on the maps right next to LAX rather than force
pilots to learn Morse code.

I passed my FAA general aviation written test in 1964 at VNY. There was
no question on that test in regards to any morse code. Back then the
standard method of radionavigation was by VOR (Vhf Omnidirection radio
Range) that did not use a precise singular azimuth of the pre-WWII "A-N"
beacons that were the cause of many early aircraft missed-navigation
errors. One can rather easily triangulate a position over the ground
using just the bearing information from two VORs. That is still there
today.

And if I remember right, joining the military (as an example) didn't
require you to learn code to use a rifle. If you wanted to learn code
and get a different job, that was up to you.

Well, as a vountary enlistee in the U.S. Army in 1952, we didn't have
much choice at all as to assignment. Also we ALL HAD to know how to
"use a rifle." Period. All.

I just can't see inter agency communications between police, fire,
medical �and the Red Cross being handled by some guy wearing a
celluloid eye shade, sleeve garters and hunched over a code key. *

Why not?

Because human life and safety is _dependent_ on quick and accurate
communications. By ANYONE.

Absolutely true! I could expound on that from personal experience but
that would probably be deleted...as has happened before. :-)

However, as I suspected, the discussion has drifted into the standard
"People that haven't had to learn code like *I* did, or "make the
effort" (as it is sometimes referred to) are somehow less than real
hams."

That is endemic in USA amateur radio. Unfortunate for the radio service
and trying to bring in anyone. My first exposure to the BIG World of
radio came in early 1953 (56 7/8 years ago, give or take). I only pull
out that factoid to show where I'm coming from, not to say I'm "better
than anyone." :-)

I've discovered that nothing of my exposure or experience is "good
enough" for amateur radio or their long-timers. ??? :-)

73, Len K6LHA

Old January 9th 10, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
On Jan 6, 12:17 pm, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

The main reason other services stopped using Morse Code was that they
didn't want to pay skilled operators. It was cheaper for them to buy
more-complex equipment.

This is irrelevant to the subject at hand, namely "CW Clubs." Non-
amateur radio services aren't involved.

As to a typical non-amateur-communications service, an old Teletype
Corporation teleprinter cost less than a quarter of the annual salary of
a skilled morse code specialist and had a service life of at least 10
years. That was before WWII...but it applied just after WWII as well.

But Amateur Radio is all about *operating*.

Curiosity compells a mention that William G. Pierpont, N0HFF, did not
have but a General class license when it expired (officially) in 2006.

If "Amateur Radio is all about 'operating,' then why are there any
technical questions in the written test elements for a USA amateur radio
license?

73, Len K6LHA

Old January 9th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

K6LHA wrote:
wrote:

The main reason other services stopped using Morse Code was that they
didn't want to pay skilled operators. It was cheaper for them to buy
more-complex equipment.

As to a typical non-amateur-communications service, an old Teletype
Corporation teleprinter cost less than a quarter of the annual salary of
a skilled morse code specialist and had a service life of at least 10
years. That was before WWII...but it applied just after WWII as well.

This is a little like saying that the reason commercial shipping moved
from wind power to engines is that they could have a smaller crew. Cost
is only a minor part of why commercial communications services stopped
using cw.

Technology moves forward. That TTY teleprinter might cost less than a
skilled Morse operator, but more important is that it does the job
better. If you're running a commercial service and you're being paid
real money to move message traffic, you invest in the latest technology
to do it because that's the overall most efficient way to get the job done.

While I'm nostalgic about the end of cw in the world of commercial
radio, that has nothing to do with my feeling about its use in ham
radio. One of the things hobbyists do is maintain expertise in skills
that might otherwise be lost forever. I enjoy the mode, and it still
has plenty of application in my hobby.

If others don't enjoy it, fine. I don't enjoy EME, and I feel myself no
less a ham for that. I'm not going to denigrate my fellow ham because
they don't care to operate a mode that I happen to enjoy.

73, Steve KB9X

Old January 9th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jan 9, 10:50�am, Steve Bonine wrote:
This is a little like saying that the reason commercial shipping moved
from wind power to engines is that they could have a smaller crew.

That was part of the reason. But the biggest reason was cost, of which
crew cost is a factor.

�Cost
is only a minor part of why commercial communications services stopped
using cw.

I think it was a major reason - perhaps *the* major reason, in many
cases.

Technology moves forward. �That TTY teleprinter might cost less t

han a
skilled Morse operator, but more important is that it does the job
better. �

That depends on how you define "better".

Lower cost is one way. A big factor in for-profit companies.

Speed is another, often because "time is money".

The nature of the communications operation is another. For example, if
a message needs to be repeated several times, the use of Morse
operators can mean each one has to receive and then re-send the
message. With teleprinters and tape perforators, a tape can be cut and
sent later. If a message is sent from one location to many, all the
receiving Morse operators can be replaced by teleprinters.

OTOH, electromechanical RTTY equipment was extremely expensive,
complex, large, heavy, noisy and power-hungry compared to typical Morse
Code equipment. It required maintenance, repair and supplies,
and was not 100% error-free.

If you're running a commercial service and you're being paid
real money to move message traffic, you invest in the latest technology
to do it because that's the overall most efficient way to get the job don

e.

Sometimes. The latest technology isn't always the overall most
efficient way.

But those are all details. The main reason is simply the overall
cost.

While I'm nostalgic about the end of cw in the world of commercial
radio, that has nothing to do with my feeling about its use in ham
radio. �One of the things hobbyists do is maintain expertise in s

kills
that might otherwise be lost forever. �I enjoy the mode, and it s

till
has plenty of application in my hobby.

Agreed, but there's more to it.

Unlike commercial services, amateurs are almost all self-funded, self-
trained and unpaid. Most amateurs don't have large amounts of time-
sensitive communications to get from A to B (and maybe C, D, E, etc.)
Things like size, weight, cost, power consumption, complexity, etc.,
can be major factors to the amateur.

Since RTTY seems to be the subject, recall that amateurs have been
using RTTY since at least 1948. Within a few years some amateurs had
fairly sophisticated RTTY setups, often homebrewed from WW2 surplus.
For example, see QST for January, 1960, where W0LQV/AF0LQV describes a
home-made RTTY TU built around a BC-453.

And well I remember K3RTR's RTTY setup, and the station we had at the
University.

But for many amateurs RTTY didn't do the job "better". A teleprinter
cost thousands of dollars new - almost all amateurs used surplus
machines, often obtained through MARS channels. They required paper,
inked ribbons and oil, and not just any would do. Worst of all, they
required additional electronics and a higher-quality receiver and
transmitter.

For many non-amateur applications, these weren't big factors. The cost
of an R-390A receiver and CV-57/URR TU to go on a battleship weren't
showstoppers for, say, the US Navy. John Q. Hamm has somewhat more
limited resources, and expecting all amateurs to follow the practices
of non-amateur services with much greater resources isn't realistic.

If others don't enjoy it, fine. �I don't enjoy EME, and I feel my

self no
less a ham for that.

Funny you should mention EME.

The US Army Signal Corps did moon-radar experiments as early as 1946
and there was a military EME communications system in operation by 1960
or 61. (Once again, the resources available were somewhat more than the
average amateur has). But the military soon abandoned the whole EME
idea, replacing it with satellites. I don't think any other radio
service uses EME, and most never even tried. (btw, a lot of the people
involved in the 1946 moon-radar were hams).

Yet amateurs continue to pursue EME, right now, today. Yes, there's no
separate EME test, but there are a significant number of EME questions
on the license exams.

�I'm not going to denigrate my fellow ham because
they don't care to operate a mode that I happen to enjoy.

Of course not - but that door swings both ways.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 10th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:41:09 EST

Subject: New club for Morse enthusiasts

Unlike commercial services, amateurs are almost all self-funded, self-
trained and unpaid. Most amateurs don't have large amounts of time-
sensitive communications to get from A to B (and maybe C, D, E, etc.)
Things like size, weight, cost, power consumption, complexity, etc.,
can be major factors to the amateur.

The FCC specifically defines the amateur radio service as being unpaid
("without pecuniary interest" in more legalistic terms).

Your statement about "time-sensitive communications" is unclear.

Big-time amateur contesters sometimes spend $10,000 to $20,000 total for
a large tower and beam antennas for HF. That would buy 5 to 10 Model 28
8-level TTYs new from Teletype Corporation.

Since RTTY seems to be the subject, recall that amateurs have been
using RTTY since at least 1948.

Various teleprinter signals were transmitted by radio in 1928 in other
radio services.

But for many amateurs RTTY didn't do the job "better". A teleprinter
cost thousands of dollars new - almost all amateurs used surplus
machines, often obtained through MARS channels. They required paper,
inked ribbons and oil, and not just any would do. Worst of all, they
required additional electronics and a higher-quality receiver and
transmitter.

"Additional electronics" consisted only of two subsystems, an FM
demodulator and an interface driver for the TTY loop circuits (60 mA
maximum if memory is correct). That commercial or military equipment is
built for very long 24/7 life is a requirement there. That is not a
requirement for amateur operation.

To properly use an NTS CW message delivery requires the official ARRL
Radiogram form, inked ribbons for the typewriter, oil for the
typewriter, perhaps an eyeshade and sleeve garters...:-) shrug

The US Army Signal Corps did moon-radar experiments as early as 1946

Successful experiment. Done as "Project Diana"...in one of the three
laboratories just outside of Fort Monmouth, NJ. I saw all three labs in
1952 while assigned to the Fort Monmouth Signal School.

and there was a military EME communications system in operation by 1960
or 61.

I was unaware of that. In that time-frame, the US Army was engaged in
trying out Troposcatter methods for the end purpose of making
specifications for contract bidding on Troposcatter using low
microwaves. Troposcatter uses literal scattering of radio waves within
the Tropopause of the atmosphere and has no direct radio path from Tx to
Rx. Position of the lunar orbit makes no impact on Troposcatter.

In the time of 1960 through 1970 (approximately), the NSA was
experimenting with its use for both passive intercepts and to active
links for covert operations, on HF through VHF. There are two references
(non-fiction books not about amateur radio) which mention
those. Apparently it was unsuccessful for constant use since no other
books about the CIA, NSA, or DIA mention anything further. Obviously
lunar orbit positions matter to EME.

btw, a lot of the people involved in the 1946 moon-radar were
hams).

1946 was only 1 year after the end of World War II. There was a
considerable number of technical and engineering people still hard at
work doing advanced projects from WWII end through 1946. Project Diana
was a research project for possible military use, to find out if such
moon-bounce methods (the FIRST one done) were consistent and repeatable
according to theory.

Yet amateurs continue to pursue EME, right now, today. Yes, there's no
separate EME test, but there are a significant number of EME questions
on the license exams.

A quick trip to www.ncvec.org will show that current exams (valid until
end of June 2010) have only 6 questions in only the Amateur Extra test.
Those are E3A03 through E3A08. Since there are 738 Questions in the
Extra pool, those EME questions comprise 0.82% of those 738. Doesn't
seem a "significant" number to me. Others' mileage may vary...

The current Question pool has 738 questions for Extra, minimum required
being 500. There are 484 in the General pool, minimum required is 350.
There are 392 in Technician, minimum required is 350. To do all three
tests in one test session is legal but a "memorization" would require
remembering a minimum of 1614 questions having 6456 answers or 8070
total.

73, Len K6LHA

Old January 11th 10, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Just saw this link on another site:

http://sites.google.com/site/tomw4bq...ingcwover70wpm

Kinda redefines "high-speed Morse code"!

73 de Jim, N2EY