Old April 23rd 04, 09:49 AM
F2DC

Hi Ken,

I have built a lot of crystal ladder filters over the years using
methods and tools provided by W. Hayward W7ZOI, J. Makhinson N6NWP and
others. Some filters are simple while others can be considered as high
performance ones.

Among the several papers dealing with the subject, I strongly suggest
you read the following :

- A Unified Approach to the Design of Crystal Ladder Filters, W.
Hayward, QST May 1982, pp 21-27

- Designing an Building High-performance Crystal Ladder Filters, J.
Makhinson, QEX January 1995, pp 24-29

- Designing and Building Simple Crystal Filters, W. Hayward, QST July
1987, pp 24-28

You can also have a look at my Web site : roland.cordesses.free.fr
where some designs are presented with their measured characteristics.

73's

Roland F2DC

Ken Scharf wrote in message ...
I have about a half dozen 3.333mhz and 5.0688 crystals.
Each group is with in 100hz of the same frequency when
put into a simple oscillator. I also have a few 11.0592
crystals that are almost as close (probably should get
a few more of these). The 5.0688 and 11.0592 are in
HC49/U cans, the 3.333 are in a somewhat larger sized
can.

Wonder if any of these groups would make a good ladder
filter for a receiver IF strip? I would guess the 3.333
ones would be better for CW, the 11.0592 for ssb, and
the 5.0688 might be a compromise either way?