Old September 30th 11, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,talk.politics.guns,rec.sport.golf,alt.conspiracy
SaPeIsMa SaPeIsMa is offline

Default A god book on US Civics 101....

"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:58:29 +0000 (UTC), Gray Guest
wrote:

[. . .]

But to change the subject and the subject line....
I am looking for a good and readable intro to US Civics for a friend who
is going to become a US citizen.
He wants more than just to pass the test - which he's already fully
qualified to do
He wants more in depth analysis and commentary
In a way, I wish that Isaac Asimov had written a book on this comparable
to his Guide to the Bible..
it would have been a hell of a read...

Democracy In America by De Tocqueville.

de Tocqueville wrote his opus magnus almost 30 years before the Civil
War; it is not a civics book but a commentary/critique of the American
mind and culture at that time. It might be classed as sociology or
anthropology, but not contemporary political science.

Your friend needs a good book on the structure and mechanics of the
American version of a republic within a democracy, as a late 19th
century creed called it. I don't have one to offer; de Tocqueville
would be an interesting read but it doesn't deal with topics like the
effects of the Civil War, the additional amendments to the
Constitution, the wars since 1835, the relationships among
industrialization, massive immigration, the end of slavery and the
subsequent civil rights legislation.

Good points
I believe he's already read De Tocqueville
(But clearly, I need to read him).
So we need something more recent.