Old October 23rd 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kevin Alfred Strom Kevin Alfred Strom is offline

Default The Worst Audio on Shortwave...

On 10/23/2011 3:15 AM, John Smith wrote:
On 10/22/2011 4:44 PM, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
...and the best:

I'd be interested to know if anyone can top the unbelievably bad
quality
on this broadcast last night from WWCR:

http://liberty.3950.net/WWCR_4840kHz...2-0230amET.mp3

It sounds like the African Holy Roller service source material had
nearly supernaturally grotesque distortion to begin with, but when
you
add to that WWCR's earbleed-inducing audio processing, the resulting
audio is so bad that it really needs a new term to describe it.
"Low-fi"
is too kind. Maybe "negative-fi."

Just by way of contrast, here's a recording that shows how good
shortwave audio can be -- same receiver, same recording setup, as the
foregoing file:

http://liberty.3950.net/WA3VJB%20729...7PM%20ET. mp3

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

My gawd, sounds like a circle jerk at the local nut house where the
inmates got a hold of some booze or drugs! ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

I swear, during some of those screamingly "spirit filled" services
that I've heard aired on certain "urban" stations, it sounds like
both the preacher and his congregation actually rise into the air by
the end of the broadcast.

As ever,

Kevin.
--