Old October 23rd 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Worst Audio on Shortwave...

....and the best:

I'd be interested to know if anyone can top the unbelievably bad
quality on this broadcast last night from WWCR:

http://liberty.3950.net/WWCR_4840kHz...2-0230amET.mp3

It sounds like the African Holy Roller service source material had
nearly supernaturally grotesque distortion to begin with, but when
you add to that WWCR's earbleed-inducing audio processing, the
resulting audio is so bad that it really needs a new term to
describe it. "Low-fi" is too kind. Maybe "negative-fi."

Just by way of contrast, here's a recording that shows how good
shortwave audio can be -- same receiver, same recording setup, as
the foregoing file:

http://liberty.3950.net/WA3VJB%20729...7PM%20ET. mp3

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--
http://nationalvanguard.org/
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old October 23rd 11, 08:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/22/2011 4:44 PM, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
...and the best:

I'd be interested to know if anyone can top the unbelievably bad quality
on this broadcast last night from WWCR:

http://liberty.3950.net/WWCR_4840kHz...2-0230amET.mp3

It sounds like the African Holy Roller service source material had
nearly supernaturally grotesque distortion to begin with, but when you
add to that WWCR's earbleed-inducing audio processing, the resulting
audio is so bad that it really needs a new term to describe it. "Low-fi"
is too kind. Maybe "negative-fi."

Just by way of contrast, here's a recording that shows how good
shortwave audio can be -- same receiver, same recording setup, as the
foregoing file:

http://liberty.3950.net/WA3VJB%20729...7PM%20ET. mp3

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.

My gawd, sounds like a circle jerk at the local nut house where the
inmates got a hold of some booze or drugs! ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

Old October 23rd 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/23/2011 3:15 AM, John Smith wrote:
[...]

I swear, during some of those screamingly "spirit filled" services
that I've heard aired on certain "urban" stations, it sounds like
both the preacher and his congregation actually rise into the air by
the end of the broadcast.

As ever,

Kevin.
--
http://nationalvanguard.org/
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/

Old October 24th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/23/2011 2:43 PM, Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:

I swear, during some of those screamingly "spirit filled" services that
I've heard aired on certain "urban" stations, it sounds like both the
preacher and his congregation actually rise into the air by the end of
the broadcast.

On my very first job in broadcasting (as a board operator), a preacher
came to the studio on Sunday morning. It was quite a sight for my naive
young eyes. Spittle flowing freely, sweat flowing freely, a bright red
face. I truly thought the man was having a stroke or an apoplectic fit.

Later, as Chief Engineer of another local FM outlet, we had many
storefront churches that we sold time to. Most were unattended by anyone
from the station; they just had a Bogen line amp we told them to turn on
a half hour before air time. Talk about distortion and bad audio!!!!

A few of the wealthier churches paid to have a radio station operator
attend the service with a 3-channel Gates mixer and Shure mics. I can't
say I ever saw anyone "actually rise into the air by the end of the
broadcast", but it was wilder than any rock and roll concert. I always
said (semi) facetiously that they had a 40 piece orchestra: one organ
and 39 tambourines. :-D