Old October 28th 11, 07:49 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.energy.homepower
miso miso is offline

Default Faulty Chinese generators....

On 10/27/2011 11:26 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:09:12 -0700 (PDT), the renowned Truth Teller
wrote:

Counterfeit UL Labels from China http://www.mysaline.com/forum/topics...ul-labels-from

I believe that most of the time the buyers are aware that there is
something fishy and look the other way. Very good quality terminal
blocks from China with tracable cUL and VDE approvals are X CNY, less
good ones without approvals are X/2.5.

What kind of irresponsible buyer fails to check the certification
number with CSA/UL/ETL or fails to schedule a pre-shipment inspection
at the factory? The added cost is a small percentage of even a small
shipment of a container load or two.

I've heard some of these jokers (last week, as it happens) say that
the product "must have UL _markings_". That's all they care about, and
the factory must comply or they lose the order.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

This is the first I heard of fake UL stickers.

By buyer, you mean the store and not the customer. Well, I hope that is
what you mean. The customer sees the UL label and just assumes it is legit.

Occasionally I will get cheap ass stuff from Harbor Freight, but I
refuse to buy anything from them that plugs into the mains. I was in the
store once when a guy was returning a sawzall that caught fire.

Getting back to generators, a Yamaha costs about 3x the Chinese junk. I
can see why people buy Chinese, but I'd sure hate to have to depend on
the Chinese item working when I need it.