Old November 4th 11, 10:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Scott[_4_] Scott[_4_] is offline

Default Volume control dirt and dust question

On 11-4-2011 02:54, Dudley Henriques wrote:

No matter how much I spend on these radios after a while they all
become static loaded as volume is changed with the wheel.
I take it this is dirt and dust collecting between the plates.
Dudley Henriques

Yes, most likely dirt, although it may also be worn out. TV tuner
cleaning spray can be tried. It comes in a spray can and usually has a
plastic "straw" that attaches to the spray head so you can direct it
into any small opening in the potentiometer (the volume control). Spray
a bit in there and rotate the volume knob several times over the full
range of the control.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103700