Old November 4th 11, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Volume control dirt and dust question

Hi;
I'm a newbie with a question please;

On small personal am/fm walkman type radios, most volume controls are
a wheel imbedded into the top or side that I take it is attacked to
plates inside the radio.
My question concerns this wheel.
No matter how much I spend on these radios after a while they all
become static loaded as volume is changed with the wheel.
I take it this is dirt and dust collecting between the plates. I've
tried blowing air along the sides of the wheels to clear the plates. I
haven't tried any sprays as yet.
Is this a well known issue with these volume wheels and if so is there
anything at all that will work to clean these wheels?
Blowing on them is iffy as they are very tight on the radio and not
much room on the sides for the air to get inside and do the job.
Can someone in the know advise on this problem please, and thank you
very much for your time in answering what to many here must be a very
basic question :-))
Dudley Henriques
Old November 4th 11, 10:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 11-4-2011 02:54, Dudley Henriques wrote:

No matter how much I spend on these radios after a while they all
become static loaded as volume is changed with the wheel.
I take it this is dirt and dust collecting between the plates.
Dudley Henriques

Yes, most likely dirt, although it may also be worn out. TV tuner
cleaning spray can be tried. It comes in a spray can and usually has a
plastic "straw" that attaches to the spray head so you can direct it
into any small opening in the potentiometer (the volume control). Spray
a bit in there and rotate the volume knob several times over the full
range of the control.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103700

Old November 4th 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Nov 4, 6:33*am, Scott wrote:
On 11-4-2011 02:54, Dudley Henriques wrote:

No matter how much I spend on these radios after a while they all
become static loaded as volume is changed with the wheel.
I take it this is dirt and dust collecting between the plates.
Dudley Henriques

Yes, most likely dirt, although it may also be worn out. *TV tuner
cleaning spray can be tried. *It comes in a spray can and usually has a
plastic "straw" that attaches to the spray head so you can direct it
into any small opening in the potentiometer (the volume control). *Spray
a bit in there and rotate the volume knob several times over the full
range of the control.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103700

Thanks much. I'll get some of this today and give it a try.
DH

Needed: This Sony volume control Brenda Ann[_2_] Radio Photos 0 March 8th 11 09:28 AM
Blaupunkt volume control Gary Tayman Radio Photos 0 October 14th 07 10:01 PM
Volume control for Drake TR-4C gil Boatanchors 0 July 17th 07 12:09 AM
fisher R3 volume control victor3d Swap 0 September 10th 06 01:57 PM
ICF-2010 volume control Paul Pigott Shortwave 4 September 18th 03 04:46 AM