Old December 12th 03, 08:48 PM
Crazy George

1. Look for small businesses who have abandoned their 'dispatch' radio
systems for cell phones or leased trunking gear.

2. Look for simply abandoned towers. There is a huge 160 foot self
supporting tower, which would take a couple hundred dollars of crane time
and a long trailer to remove, sitting about 5 miles from my house. My wife
will not allow me to contact the new property owners, but I suspect that
mentioning the word liability to them would get me the tower for the taking.
Apparently it was erected by someone for an independent paging site just
before cellular hit, but the base and hut are now overgrown with trees to
the point that entry into the fence is literally impossible without a chain
saw.

3. Check QST for silent keys in your vicinity.

4. Look for cable TV head ends which have been rendered moot by satellite
and fiber.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"R. Scott" wrote in message
Thought I would bring this up just for giggles. As I try to save up
for tower plus shipping plus yada yada, I got to thinking about it. HOW
does on find the free ones. Ive ran into and this is no lie 10 guys
over
the last 5 or so years that picked the towers they have for litteraly
FREE.

I asked what they did and most said they just came across it.

Last guy I talked too, a county hunter in Idaho (as I was giving out
counties)
when I stopped by his house for a hand shake took me to see his NEW
tower.

He got it from a ham in Nevada. COST, The price to rent a trailer and
pay
for gas and meals for his friend to tow it down and pick up the tower.

So, How does one find these .

Talk about a different subject

Rick N7HJ