Old December 12th 03, 04:42 PM
R. Scott

Default Anyone have a secret to finding that Free tower.

Thought I would bring this up just for giggles. As I try to save up
for tower plus shipping plus yada yada, I got to thinking about it. HOW
does on find the free ones. Ive ran into and this is no lie 10 guys
over
the last 5 or so years that picked the towers they have for litteraly
FREE.

I asked what they did and most said they just came across it.

Last guy I talked too, a county hunter in Idaho (as I was giving out
counties)
when I stopped by his house for a hand shake took me to see his NEW
tower.

He got it from a ham in Nevada. COST, The price to rent a trailer and
pay
for gas and meals for his friend to tow it down and pick up the tower.

So, How does one find these .

Talk about a different subject

Rick N7HJ
Old December 12th 03, 08:48 PM
Crazy George

1. Look for small businesses who have abandoned their 'dispatch' radio
systems for cell phones or leased trunking gear.

2. Look for simply abandoned towers. There is a huge 160 foot self
supporting tower, which would take a couple hundred dollars of crane time
and a long trailer to remove, sitting about 5 miles from my house. My wife
will not allow me to contact the new property owners, but I suspect that
mentioning the word liability to them would get me the tower for the taking.
Apparently it was erected by someone for an independent paging site just
before cellular hit, but the base and hut are now overgrown with trees to
the point that entry into the fence is literally impossible without a chain
saw.

3. Check QST for silent keys in your vicinity.

4. Look for cable TV head ends which have been rendered moot by satellite
and fiber.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old December 12th 03, 11:26 PM
Cecil Moore

Bill Turner wrote:
I haven't done it myself, but a friend of mine says when he sees a
suitable one, he just walks up and asks if they want it taken down for
free. Gets a lot of turn downs, but once in a while.....

A similar approach apparently works on single ladies. A friend of mine
had a line that went something like: "How would you like to wake up in the
morning in bed with me?" I asked what was his batting average with a corny
line like that. He said, "About 2%." When I asked why he settled for such
a low average, he said, "I ask 50 ladies per night!"
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 13th 03, 03:16 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Rick

The best tower I ever had was a freestanding foldover commercial
highway light tower which I got for free, when they were replacing
them with breakaway towers.

In my case, I was just in the right place at the right time. The
truck hauling them away hit its maximum load and there was one left,
the tallest, that he couldn't take. I offered to take it!

Getting it home was my biggest problem!
It required two escort vehicles and an overload transportation permit,
plus a couple of drivers that knew how to manouver a LONG item around
a couple of tight corners. It was 92 feet tall with the base removed,
97 feet with the mounting base.
We had to cut about 4 feet off of the top in order to make one of the
required turns, which also helped later to keep it in my backyard in
it's folded down position.
The permit was only something like 32 bucks, the drivers were free
(fellow hams), but we spent something like 50 bucks on the required
plaqards, signs, flags and reflectors the county required.

TTUL
Gary

Old December 15th 03, 04:07 PM
R. Scott

Thanks one and all for the great replies.

Out to scour the earth for that elusive tower now

Rick N7HJ