Old December 13th 03, 02:50 AM
Lloyd Mitchell

Steve,
If yu can handle a full sized one 102' and you'll be very happy. Now you can
build it yourself OR you can buy one from various vendors. Me I decided to
"stay as true to G5RV's article" and bought a G5RV from W7FG.com as it is
tru ladder line and actually is only two wires from the PL259 connector to
the end. simple and it works. http://www.w7fg.com/ant.htm

G5RV 80 - 10 Meters (102 Feet)
With 31 feet of Ladder Line.........................$35
Requires Coax from supplied UHF Male connector to equipment.

Lloyd KD4HTW

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I just started on hf bands and i usiing now a FD4 from Fritzel and I

hear
all goods things about the G5RV.
Is that so, works it's also great on 10 and 15m?
I have not to much space for a full size beam but a mini beam works also
good I think. But most of beginners started with a wire like a G5RV???
If I buy a G5RV is that with a Balun or without a balun what's the

best??

I have a "shorty" G5RV -- the full-length version goes to 80m, and
there's one for 160, but mine only goes 40m to 10m -- which does a
fairly decent job. It's not mounted in the best of places, due to the
need for me to be somewhat stealthy at my condo. I also run only QRP
power levels, mainly to mitigate the risk of interference complaints
among the neighbors, and have managed to make more than my share of
contacts using 5w on phone from 20 to 10 meters during contests like the
recent ARRL Sweepstakes. Hopefully conditions (and available operating
time) will be good for 10m this month for the ARRL 10m Contest.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA