Old December 13th 03, 03:16 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Rick

The best tower I ever had was a freestanding foldover commercial
highway light tower which I got for free, when they were replacing
them with breakaway towers.

In my case, I was just in the right place at the right time. The
truck hauling them away hit its maximum load and there was one left,
the tallest, that he couldn't take. I offered to take it!

Getting it home was my biggest problem!
It required two escort vehicles and an overload transportation permit,
plus a couple of drivers that knew how to manouver a LONG item around
a couple of tight corners. It was 92 feet tall with the base removed,
97 feet with the mounting base.
We had to cut about 4 feet off of the top in order to make one of the
required turns, which also helped later to keep it in my backyard in
it's folded down position.
The permit was only something like 32 bucks, the drivers were free
(fellow hams), but we spent something like 50 bucks on the required
plaqards, signs, flags and reflectors the county required.

TTUL
Gary