Old May 6th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
[email protected] dking615@gmail.com is offline

Default Regency R1080 Distorted Audio Problem

On Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:45:16 PM UTC-5, Radio Hobby wrote:
I have a Regency R1080 scanner. It scans good, it programs good, but
when it stops on a station you can not hardly understand the audio, I
have replaced the output audio IC chip LM386 and all of the capacitors
around it, plus the speaker. That made no difference. It seems worse on
UHF, where all you can hear is the carrier and the audio seems non
existant, but on the wx channels you can hear audio, but almost so
distored as unable to understand.
I would sincerly apprecte any thoughts that you may have. Thank you....
Claude WB4WHH

--
Radio Hobby

Have you had any luck fixing the audio problem with your Regency R1080? I have the same scanner with a similar problem. It scans fine but no audio at all, not even on weatherband. I do hear a hiss on non-active frequencies and turning up the volume control increases the volume of the hiss so it doesn't appear that the speaker is the problem. I haven't yet attempted any repairs other than cleaning the volume and squelch controls with some Radioshack switch cleaner/lubricant. Just wondering if you've had any success. Thanks.
David