Old January 30th 11, 03:45 AM
Junior Member

Default Regency R1080 Distorted Audio Problem

I have a Regency R1080 scanner. It scans good, it programs good, but when it stops on a station you can not hardly understand the audio, I have replaced the output audio IC chip LM386 and all of the capacitors around it, plus the speaker. That made no difference. It seems worse on UHF, where all you can hear is the carrier and the audio seems non existant, but on the wx channels you can hear audio, but almost so distored as unable to understand.
I would sincerly apprecte any thoughts that you may have. Thank you.... Claude WB4WHH
Old February 4th 11, 11:46 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Hobby View Post
I have a Regency R1080 scanner. It scans good, it programs good, but when it stops on a station you can not hardly understand the audio, I have replaced the output audio IC chip LM386 and all of the capacitors around it, plus the speaker. That made no difference. It seems worse on UHF, where all you can hear is the carrier and the audio seems non existent, but on the wx channels you can hear audio, but almost so distorted as unable to understand.
I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts that you may have. Thank you.... Claude WB4WHH
You did all that work and yet you don't know how to use spell check?

Maybe the scanner is junk and needs to be replaced.
How old is this scanner?
internet says it was made in the late 80's...
Where is your location?

Last edited by Channel Jumper : February 4th 11 at 11:51 PM
Old February 6th 11, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Kev Kev is offline

Channel Jumper wrote:
Radio Hobby;731058 Wrote:
I have a Regency R1080 scanner. It scans good, it programs good, but
when it stops on a station you can not hardly understand the audio, I
have replaced the output audio IC chip LM386 and all of the capacitors
around it, plus the speaker. That made no difference. It seems worse on
UHF, where all you can hear is the carrier and the audio seems non
existent, but on the wx channels you can hear audio, but almost so
distorted as unable to understand.
I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts that you may have. Thank
you.... Claude WB4WHH

You did all that work and yet you don't know how to use spell check?

Nothing wrong with the spelling, maybe you need better glasses

Maybe the scanner is junk and needs to be replaced.
How old is this scanner?
internet says it was made in the late 80's...
Where is your location?

Maybe you could have just not answered if you didn't have any real
answers for the guy

Some people like keeping old gear going

Kev
Old May 6th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

--
Radio Hobby

Have you had any luck fixing the audio problem with your Regency R1080? I have the same scanner with a similar problem. It scans fine but no audio at all, not even on weatherband. I do hear a hiss on non-active frequencies and turning up the volume control increases the volume of the hiss so it doesn't appear that the speaker is the problem. I haven't yet attempted any repairs other than cleaning the volume and squelch controls with some Radioshack switch cleaner/lubricant. Just wondering if you've had any success. Thanks.
David