Old June 24th 04, 10:17 PM
Tim Wescott

Theo wrote:
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

The transformer is good for 1500 to 2500 VRMS at 0.5 A or more.

I would check to see if these transformers are continuously rated, I seem to
recall they are rated for intermittent use only.

Theo

They are also built to have high leakage inductance, for current
limiting when you put your steel coffee cup in there. This is done by
having physically separate windings and a laminated-steel wedge in the
window in the core. You have to knock that wedge out.

There was an article in QST or QEX about using microwave parts to build
power supplies for linears. Very interesting. Very scary, considering
that the author also used old refrigerator drawers as the case...

I saved the pieces from my old microwave in case I ever want to build
something that puts out more than 5W.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services