View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old September 5th 12, 04:01 PM

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2011

Thanks guys - I found the answer this morning as soon as I looked at the picture of one on the web site...

The seller of the antenna was dead - I couldn't ask him any questions.

His son - was only interested in the money from the sale and couldn't tell me anything because he wasn't a ham like his dad.

The antenna was a 6 meter antenna ( AR -6 ) - hence this antenna would need to be about 224 inches long to work on 11 meters - not 9'

Trying to make a 1/2 wave antenna work on a quarter wave size throws everything off balance.

11'6 - did show a match, with a 2:1 SWR on 11 meters..
But the reactive and inductive are probably all wrong...

This means I need to add another 7' to the antenna to get it to work on 27.200 MHz...
( 224 inches long )...

All I would need to do is figure out how long to make the stub match and I would be set!

For some reason ( a 6 meter antenna will receive a little and talk a little on 10 meters - ok) and will tune up on 10 meters if it is the right length and if a internal antenna tuner is used.

It doesn't mean that it is resonant - it just means that it will tune up and work a little with the transceiver.

For some reason the 6 meter Ringo - ( if not properly adjusted in length ) will not transmit on 6 meters - it is a (600 KHz) only antenna - not very broad banded...

When I tried it at my house on 50.125 MHz and 52.900 Mhz - it would not tune with my internal tuner in my Kenwood TS 590 - the transceiver tuner said (bad match) in CW...
It sounds like someone shuffling cards when it is running...

But it would tune just fine on 10 meters - 28.400 - so I figured it was a 10 meter antenna...
I didn't get the instructions with the antenna - and I didn't look online to see which model it was.... That was my fault...

It makes a real good dummy load though...

Thanks guys..

A Horizontal Dipole won't work at this location - because the op wants to talk to truck drivers and his neighbors and the mis match between horizontal and vertical would be so much he might as well not put anything up and just hold the coax with 3 watts transmit power...

Last edited by Channel Jumper : September 5th 12 at 10:05 PM