Old February 16th 13, 09:15 PM
jta jta is offline
Member

No, it isn't and wasn't. The un-modded DX394 was an overpriced, low performing, almost entry-level radio. I wouldn't even call it a receiver! There was filter bleed-thru and serious memory problems.

Even with mods, it's only a little bit better - still an entry-level radio - but after all, you can't get a silk purse from a sows' ear.

I bought one at the close-out price of $149, did many of the more useful mods to it, and then sold it as fast as I could. Bought a used Icom with the money I got and never looked back.

Why 20 memories per band? And who the heck decided what the "bands" were supposed to be? They bear no relationship to reality! There are exactly 20 memories that can be used anywhere you want to use them. Why? Why not all 200 memories assignable - like everyone else does it?

I laughed when I saw the logo at the yahoo DX394 group - "the best receiver"! Compared to what - a Barlow-Wadley XCR30? No radio at all? Gimme a break!

Anyone who says the DX394 is "great" has never used a real receiver. It will NEVER outperform higher priced radios no matter what you do to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
That review was written by a bunch of " I am better than you" HAM who put down everything that is NOT strictly got a HAM name on it. I have a DX 394 with "mods" And yes it is a great receiver. It outperforms higher priced SLW radios! Does it need mods to make it better "YES" but it is a great radio without them!

Last edited by jta : February 16th 13 at 09:18 PM