Old December 23rd 04, 04:22 PM

I never mentioned the R8B, I said an R8, which I have seen sold for
$350 and is a far superior receiver. I am also sure that he does not
get his filters from kiwa but has another source and gets them for
$2-$3 each, it is just a low cost murata filter.

and I have seen MANY 394's for $110 on ebay so I think he is ripping
people off at $260.

Old December 23rd 04, 05:49 PM
RHF

TOM,
..
Another factor may be that for many casual Shortwave Listeners
they 'know' the RadioShack "DX" Receiver Band Name.
..
They may have heard of Drake, Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood JRC,
Ten Tec and others. But they 'know' the RadioShack "DX"
Receiver Band Name and trust it.

It may not be logical: But it is a 'feeling',
and for some "Feelings Are Facts" [.]

..
jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..

Old December 23rd 04, 07:41 PM
Tom

I think you are being choosy in your stats, citing only the lowest
prices recorded to support your argument. I tracked eBay selling prices
for DX-394's over a 7-month period from Oct/03 to Apr/04 - graphed at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOS...394/files/FAQ/ .The monthly
average for unmodified ones ranged from $135-$175; for modified ones,
(not solely lowbander's and with varying degrees of mods) from
$195-$265. Of course, there were individual ones that sold for less and
more than these. That was nearly a year ago and prices may have moved
somewhat. My recent eBay watch list shows only one sold in the US for
or $110 or less at $108.50. The majority of unmodified ones at around
$150. lowbander sold 5 between $235 and $250.

Rather than comparing it against more expensive receivers that rarely
show up on ebay and sell at the bottom price you mention (that's too
easy!), can you identify a readily available one that is comparable in
price with equal or superior features and performance?

73, Tom

Old December 23rd 04, 07:46 PM
Tom

I never mentioned the R8B, I said an R8, ...

You said:

clue me in people,,,,,do I want one of these ????? is it better than

an
R-8B ?????

So, yes, you can buy a new R8B for 10 times the price of a used DX-394
and it is a better receiver.

73, Tom

Old December 23rd 04, 08:03 PM

READ MY TYPING !!!! THIS IS WHAT I POSTED ON 12/22 AT 8AM

my original point was that mr lowbander sells his 394's for too high a
price and makes it sound like he walks on water modding it. for a
little more than he charges ($260) one can get a satellit 800 or a
sometimes an R-75 or R-8, far superior radios.

Old December 24th 04, 01:29 AM
Tom

No need to shout. You are entitled to your opinion but be careful when
you state it that you are not slandering lowbander or anyone else. His
ebay feedback is 100% positive on over 700 transactions, the majority
of which are sales of his modified DX-394's. While he may be guilty of
hyperbole (isn't that typical of our advertising oriented society?),
can you find a mistruth in his ads? His hundreds of customers are
satisfied so his price cannot be too high. I think he is to be
congratulated on creating an after-market in souping up DX-394's. Is
there such a market for any other receiver?

If your only point was that you can buy a superior radio by spending
more money, then I would not argue with you. But, for some, that extra
cash is not an option. And to get any of the radios you cited at such a
low price is a rarity while there is almost always at least one DX-394
FA on ebay.

This thread, however, (and not necessarily you, Cap'n) demeaned
lowbander, his modified DX-394's, and the basic DX-394.
I thought that was unfair and needed some balance. After all, I'm a
DX-394 enthusiast and hot-rodder.

I don't know what you are using, Cap'n, but if you can handle a
soldering iron, pick up one of those DX-394's at $110 and have some
fun. Your other rig, like my Drake R-4B, may end up gathering dust for
a while ;-) .

73 and seasons greetings!

Tom

Old February 15th 13, 10:57 PM
Junior Member

That review was written by a bunch of " I am better than you" HAM who put down everything that is NOT strictly got a HAM name on it. I have a DX 394 with "mods" And yes it is a great receiver. It outperforms higher priced SLW radios! Does it need mods to make it better "YES" but it is a great radio without them!
Old February 16th 13, 09:15 PM
jta jta is offline
Member

No, it isn't and wasn't. The un-modded DX394 was an overpriced, low performing, almost entry-level radio. I wouldn't even call it a receiver! There was filter bleed-thru and serious memory problems.

Even with mods, it's only a little bit better - still an entry-level radio - but after all, you can't get a silk purse from a sows' ear.

I bought one at the close-out price of $149, did many of the more useful mods to it, and then sold it as fast as I could. Bought a used Icom with the money I got and never looked back.

Why 20 memories per band? And who the heck decided what the "bands" were supposed to be? They bear no relationship to reality! There are exactly 20 memories that can be used anywhere you want to use them. Why? Why not all 200 memories assignable - like everyone else does it?

I laughed when I saw the logo at the yahoo DX394 group - "the best receiver"! Compared to what - a Barlow-Wadley XCR30? No radio at all? Gimme a break!

Anyone who says the DX394 is "great" has never used a real receiver. It will NEVER outperform higher priced radios no matter what you do to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
That review was written by a bunch of " I am better than you" HAM who put down everything that is NOT strictly got a HAM name on it. I have a DX 394 with "mods" And yes it is a great receiver. It outperforms higher priced SLW radios! Does it need mods to make it better "YES" but it is a great radio without them!

Last edited by jta : February 16th 13 at 09:18 PM