Old March 7th 13, 07:15 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tauno Voipio[_2_] Tauno Voipio[_2_] is offline

Default Antenna Simulation in LTspice

On 6.3.13 9:00 , rickman wrote:

Since the loop is inductive, your first priority is to resonate it with a
capacitor at the desired frequency. This will require a very precise
value, and even for a single frequency, may require a variable capacitor
to account for manufacturing tolerances. In the AM BCB, a Q of 10 gets
you 50-160kHz bandwidth, so you only get a few channels for any given
tuning position. And if the Q is higher, you get even fewer.

Yes, that is loop antenna 101 I think. It was when I added a coupling
transformer with 100:1 turns ratio that I was told I needed to consider
the parasitics. I have found it is not useful to go much above 25 or
33:1 on the turns ratio. I am receiving a single frequency, 60 kHz.
There is no need for a wide bandwidth. Ultimately, I prefer a Q of
100 for the higher gain. If it gets too high, the off tuning by
variations (drift) in the parasitic capacitance affects the antenna gain
appreciably.

Please note that high Q will destroy the modulation sidebands on
the signal you're listening to.

In aviation, there are non-directional beacons which are transmitting
in a frequency around 300 kHz (1 km wavelength). The antennas cannot
obviously be of efficient length (250 m / 800 ft), so they are short
(20 m / 70 ft) force-tuned to the transmitting frequency. This creates
so high Q that the identification modulation sidebands for the customary
1050 Hz audio do not fit in, and the ID is modulated using 400 Hz audio.

--

Tauno Voipio, avionics engineer (also OH2UG)