Old December 19th 03, 01:51 AM
Crazy George

Pat:

I think HyGain used to recommend about 6 turns 6" in diameter of RG-8. I
don't think you want to wind 9913 that small, and 214 won't bend that well,
so go for 6 or 7 turns as small as you can conveniently coil the coax. In a
solenoid, not scramble wound, BTW. Minimize the capacity coupling between
the ends.
--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"VE3PMK" wrote in message
I picked up two 6m mobile fiberglass whip antennas recently and my plan is
to use a short piece of 2" aluminum channel stock with a couple of C

clamps
and make a mast mountable dipole.

The question: Without buying a commercial unit, how should I connect it to
the feeding coax? I could go direct-connect, but I think a balun is

needed.
Therefore, can I get away with 'n' turns of coax on a 'x' inch cylindrical
form? If so, what are the values for n and x ? I'll be feeding it woth
ether 9913, 9914, or RG214, depending on what I'm running low on when the
day arrives. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Pat
VE3PMK