Old December 13th 03, 04:56 AM
VE3PMK

Default Constructing a 6m dipole balun??

I picked up two 6m mobile fiberglass whip antennas recently and my plan is
to use a short piece of 2" aluminum channel stock with a couple of C clamps
and make a mast mountable dipole.

The question: Without buying a commercial unit, how should I connect it to
the feeding coax? I could go direct-connect, but I think a balun is needed.
Therefore, can I get away with 'n' turns of coax on a 'x' inch cylindrical
form? If so, what are the values for n and x ? I'll be feeding it woth
ether 9913, 9914, or RG214, depending on what I'm running low on when the
day arrives. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Pat
VE3PMK

Old December 13th 03, 12:44 PM
Adam 9A4QV

What you need is "current balun". Like you said, a few turns of feeding coax
will be ok, or a few ferite barrels on the coax close to the dipole.
Center of coax connect to one and the shield on the other wip.
This will work for shure.

Old December 19th 03, 01:51 AM
Crazy George

Pat:

I think HyGain used to recommend about 6 turns 6" in diameter of RG-8. I
don't think you want to wind 9913 that small, and 214 won't bend that well,
so go for 6 or 7 turns as small as you can conveniently coil the coax. In a
solenoid, not scramble wound, BTW. Minimize the capacity coupling between
the ends.
--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address