Old October 8th 04, 06:54 AM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
DigiKey has, or maybe used to have, a fee for orders under $25, but they
have so much stuff I can't live without that it's never an issue! Most
places are going to charge $5-$10 for shipping, too, so tiny orders are a
problem anyway.

One thing I should mention with DigiKey ... look at the shipping options and
specify what you want. Their "default" seems to be 2nd day air, which can
be pricey. Where I am, it sometimes saves a day, sometimes not, so at least
for me, it's never worth it. But if you have to have that part tomorrow,
DigiKey will ship it today if you call them before 8 PM Central time.

Once I ordered a part from them that needed special programming. Their
programming person had left for the day so they were all in a panic when
they realized they couldn't ship that evening. I told them it wasn't a big
deal, but at 10 the next morning they called again to assure me that my $3
part had made it onto a truck.

Agreed, the Digi-Key guys are hardcore. I once posted a message to this
group criticizing the company for using expiring tokens in their part-
lookup URLs, and they actually saw it and responded to the criticism
with a workaround.

Digi-Key is not the cheapest vendor out there, but they set the standard
for everyone else to follow when it comes to service. It's not unfair
of them to charge extra for orders under $25. I don't want them losing
money on MY order (not that THAT will ever happen).

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam