Old January 17th 14, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Stuckle Jerry Stuckle is offline

Default Rhon tower bolts

On 1/17/2014 12:22 PM, gareth wrote:
"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message

Actually, the FCC doesn't limit towers to 200'. But anything over 200'
has to be lighted and registered so it can appear on air navigation
charts. Then there are all kinds of other hassles like ensuring the
lights are always working at nighttime and having to climb a tower in 10
degree F weather with a 20mph wind (on the ground) to replace a burned out
light bulb (I know - I had to do it when I was young and stupid and worked
on towers ).

Over here, we have always been limited to 50' within half a mile of any
aerodrome,
but that does not imply local authority permission for anything up to that
height!

Yes, there are additional limitations when close to airports, heliports,
etc. But rather than a fixed height like you have, ours varies
depending on the distance from the airport or heliport, and the size of
the longest runway of the airport. It varies from 25:1 (1 foot of
height for every 25 feet away) ratio for heliports to 100:1 for large
airports.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address