Old January 28th 14, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default 3/8x24 2 meter mobile

On Monday, January 27, 2014 6:41:34 PM UTC-6, Channel Jumper wrote:
Dave Platt already beat me to the answer.

The bottom line is that it would be a waste of a perfectly good 10 / 11

meter antenna to modify one to work on two meters just because you

already had the mount on the vehicle - even though the mount was in the

wrong place.

If he's got several, why would it be a waste if it's adding another
band? He can only use one CB antenna at a time.. :/

And he hasn't mentioned where the mount is. If it's on the roof or
a decent trunk, it will work OK. But mirror mounts and such, a 5/8
will usually not work too well at all. But mirror mounts are about
the worst place you can mount a whip, no matter what type.

But one problem about converting a base load CB antenna I forgot about..
It's not a 3/8x24 thread.. They use a different type of wider screw
on mount, and would need to be modified, or use a base load mount.

With a 3/8x24 thread mount, I would just use a 1/4 wave.. So much
easier and better looking. Most loading/matching coil schemes are going
to look fairly ugly in a case like that as you usually can't enclose
them in anything.