Old December 22nd 03, 04:54 AM
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:34:08 GMT, Dave Shrader
wrote:

|Let's go a little slowly here. It is not clear where the reading is
|taking place. He states 'if I put a cap across the coax'. Where is the
|reading? Across the coax or at the antenna?

The reading is where the coax connected to the MFJ thingie. Beats me
as to where that was. But I don't care whether the reading was at the
antenna, the middle of the coax or the transmitter end.

*Wherever* he took the reading is the *load* as far as I'm concerned
and that's where he needs to insert the -j35 series reactance to
cancel the +j35.

If he makes a measurement elsewhere and gets a different answer, then
he needs a different solution.

|He should make the reading at the antenna terminals and add compensation
|there so that the VSWR changes from 2.1:1 to approximately 1:1.

If the terminals are 100' in the air, in between two supports, that
might be difficult. But in principle I agree the best place to do the
matching is at the antenna. But when I say this, all of the guys
using ladder line with 50:1 SWRs get all upset.

|I don't have a problem with a 2.1:1 VSWR. I'd leave it alone or retrim
|the antenna.

Yep. The old Drake L-4B "antenna tuner" easily handles this.

|W1MCE
|+ + +
|
|Wes Stewart wrote:
|
| On 20 Dec 2003 23:00:17 GMT, (PDRUNEN) wrote:
|
| |Hi Group,
| |
| |A friend of mine let me borrow one of those MFJ antenna analizier with the
| |reads out of the R and X component.
| |