Old April 17th 14, 07:30 PM
kd4mao kd4mao is offline
Junior Member

The main difference is about 30 or so hours of memorizing the test questions to pass a test, not much different, only experience makes the difference and some of the CBers that have tall towers with beams and home built amps may have many of the same experiences as a Ham that does something similar, it certainly seems true when you listen to the 75 meter band in the US, it sounds little different than the CB AM channels. If you listen around the so called out of band side band CB operators except for a much busier level of traffic it sounds little different. maybe the NO CODE new Hams have brought their 11 meter experiences with them and it has blended together. My love of the radio hobby came first with SWL then CB and now a Ham of over 20 years, I still value ALL of my experiences and see little differences now or when I was 10 hungering to hear and speak to someone on my one channel 100 milli-watt walkie talkie. Being across the pond in the USA, I often tune your FM CB channels in the UK to see if any likely 10 meter operators in Europe are around. The same is done for New Zealand and other places that differ from the standard 40 of the US increasing the chance of hearing the weaker CB signals and knowing if 10 or 12 is populated a contact is more likely to those areas of the world..