Old February 14th 14, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The ATU, a dying art?

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:21:37 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

Because of the increase of domestic interference, the use of endfed
antennas - fed at the shack (house) end - is now definitely a 'bad
thing',
whereas a remote feed usually results in fewer interference problems.

My inverted L is matched at the base of the vertical section at the
bottom of the garden. I use an AAMU that works from 160m to 6m, it's
battery powered with the latter being charged by a solar cell panel.

Now, I could easily make a matching unit from discrete components and
remotely control adjustment, by wireless or wire. I could use RF sensing
to drive a controller. Or I could let the AAMU take the strain so I can
spend my precious spare time doing radio stuff that really interests me -
like SDR. I also enjoy spending time in the company of friends and wife.

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey
Old February 14th 14, 03:30 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:26:11 +0000, gareth wrote:

Says who? You?

Me too :-)

My interest in amateur radio has not changed one bit since I purchased an
AAMU - it was the most sensible option given what I wanted to do an how I
wished to spend my time. We should not equate being a 'good' radio
amateur with being a luddite!

Old February 14th 14, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , writes
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:12:14 PM UTC-6, gareth wrote:
With the onset of automatic ATUs, is the the final technical

skill that disambiguates the radio amateur from the CBer

being lost?

I've never seen a case where the use of an automatic antenna tuner
drained antenna related knowledge from the operators brain pan.

Could that be because the knowledge was never there in the first place?

Unlikely for newcomers in the UK as adjusting an ATU is an assessed
practical part of the Foundation (=Technician) exam.

Of course, it is possible that those who went through the previous scheme
never learned such skills

I find newcomers learn it, and understand why it is required, after a few
moments tuition.

Thankfully, like loading a PA, once mastered it is a skill you tend to
remember.

Because of the increase of domestic interference, the use of endfed
antennas - fed at the shack (house) end - is now definitely a 'bad
thing', whereas a remote feed usually results in fewer interference problems.

The remotely fed end fed is my 'go to' antenna for beginners. It is
generally the lowest profile, avoids the need for a 'drop' in the middle of
the garden, and will give good results with just one counterpoise (
although more are better).

If an auto ATU is outside the budget, a remote ATU can be built. This can
be as simple as slow electric motors (ex electric screw drivers) driving a
variable Capacitor and roller coaster arrangement, controller from the
shack. Depending on the ability / wishes of the owner, extra circuitry can
be added to provide more complex control and/ or display.

The advent of remote tuners has been a godsend, as it obviates the need
to devise cunning methods of performing the remote adjustments. However,
I'm sure that there are now some amateurs who have the attitude "If I
sling a random length of wire in the air, and stick an auto-tuner on it,
it'll work just fine". As a result, the art of matching antennas has
become de-skilled, and we no longer need to have any idea whatsoever
about 'how things work'. Is this a 'good thing'?

As long as the basic skill has been learned, is it ever really lost? I'm
not loaded up every valve PA but I would not like to think I would be
flummoxed by an unknown but obviously similar design.

Old April 17th 14, 07:30 PM
Junior Member

The main difference is about 30 or so hours of memorizing the test questions to pass a test, not much different, only experience makes the difference and some of the CBers that have tall towers with beams and home built amps may have many of the same experiences as a Ham that does something similar, it certainly seems true when you listen to the 75 meter band in the US, it sounds little different than the CB AM channels. If you listen around the so called out of band side band CB operators except for a much busier level of traffic it sounds little different. maybe the NO CODE new Hams have brought their 11 meter experiences with them and it has blended together. My love of the radio hobby came first with SWL then CB and now a Ham of over 20 years, I still value ALL of my experiences and see little differences now or when I was 10 hungering to hear and speak to someone on my one channel 100 milli-watt walkie talkie. Being across the pond in the USA, I often tune your FM CB channels in the UK to see if any likely 10 meter operators in Europe are around. The same is done for New Zealand and other places that differ from the standard 40 of the US increasing the chance of hearing the weaker CB signals and knowing if 10 or 12 is populated a contact is more likely to those areas of the world..