Old September 7th 14, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Anyone modified a Tecsun PL-390?

highlandham wrote in news:lui1dh$ku0$1@dont-
email.me:

Talking LW time signals ,the UK MSF 60kHz tx is now located at Anthorn
-Cumbria . Sig here in Scotland is pretty strong.
It is a bit different with DCF at 77 KHz located near Frankfurt a/M
-Germany .
Both Lidl and Aldi (supermarkets) sell radio controlled clocks on 77KHz,
but to get the radio time signal I have to place such a clock near the
window here in the north of Scotland (IO87AT)
A reliable signal seems to be available everywhere up to approx 1000 kms
from the tx
Do you receive DCF ,77 khz well on your rx ?

I wish I could.. Neither of my radios will do it. 100KHz on the AOR AR-3000
is as low as it gets here. Maybe some frequency doubling relay can exist that
would allow down to 50 KHz reception...

Over a decade ago when I was looking at MSF based on a Maplin kit or two, the
transmissions were still from somewhere further south than now, not sure
where, they'd just changed from Rugby a few years earlier. Teddington maybe?
Reception was awkward, very fussy inside a basement, but it worked.