Old July 12th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II m II is offline

Default Votage drop in week-old Eneloops?

On 15-07-12 06:20 AM, nicola wrote:
How much voltage do Eneloops loose after a week? This is my situation in
more detail.....

I have an old Sony digital shortwave radio from the 1980s which works
slightly better on alkalines but I use Eneloops because it's cheaper.

Eneloops last about 9 or 10 days before the radio won't switch on.

I alternate between 2 sets of Eneloops. Each week I take the used Eneloops
out of the radio and put in a new set which were charged the week before.

How much voltage will the week-old Eneloops have lost? I am more concerned
about losing radio perfomance (which is why I am asking about voltage) than
total charge.

I use the white case Eneloops in my digital camera. They are around 2100
ma or so. These batteries hold their charge for almost a year when they
are just sitting there. Regular rechargeable batteries may have a higher
capacity rating, but last nowhere near those times.

Joe is right when he says that as long as the radio turns on, you're
probably good. On one portable I have, the sound volume goes way up just
before the batteries give up the ghost. The increased volume only
happens for a minute or so before the set shuts off.

mike

--
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them!