Old July 12th 15, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Votage drop in week-old Eneloops?

How much voltage do Eneloops loose after a week? This is my situation in
more detail.....

I have an old Sony digital shortwave radio from the 1980s which works
slightly better on alkalines but I use Eneloops because it's cheaper.

Eneloops last about 9 or 10 days before the radio won't switch on.

I alternate between 2 sets of Eneloops. Each week I take the used Eneloops
out of the radio and put in a new set which were charged the week before.

How much voltage will the week-old Eneloops have lost? I am more concerned
about losing radio perfomance (which is why I am asking about voltage) than
total charge.

--
Sony radio = http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/radio-e...icf7600d-e.htm
Old July 12th 15, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 7/12/2015 8:20 AM, nicola wrote:
How much voltage do Eneloops loose after a week? This is my situation in
more detail.....

I have an old Sony digital shortwave radio from the 1980s which works
slightly better on alkalines but I use Eneloops because it's cheaper.

Eneloops last about 9 or 10 days before the radio won't switch on.

I alternate between 2 sets of Eneloops. Each week I take the used Eneloops
out of the radio and put in a new set which were charged the week before.

How much voltage will the week-old Eneloops have lost? I am more concerned
about losing radio perfomance (which is why I am asking about voltage) than
total charge.

The answers to most of your Eneloop questions can be found he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

If the radio has enough voltage to turn on and operate, you will not be
losing any perceptible performance.

Old July 12th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 15-07-12 06:20 AM, nicola wrote:
How much voltage do Eneloops loose after a week? This is my situation in
more detail.....

I have an old Sony digital shortwave radio from the 1980s which works
slightly better on alkalines but I use Eneloops because it's cheaper.

Eneloops last about 9 or 10 days before the radio won't switch on.

I alternate between 2 sets of Eneloops. Each week I take the used Eneloops
out of the radio and put in a new set which were charged the week before.

How much voltage will the week-old Eneloops have lost? I am more concerned
about losing radio perfomance (which is why I am asking about voltage) than
total charge.

I use the white case Eneloops in my digital camera. They are around 2100
ma or so. These batteries hold their charge for almost a year when they
are just sitting there. Regular rechargeable batteries may have a higher
capacity rating, but last nowhere near those times.

Joe is right when he says that as long as the radio turns on, you're
probably good. On one portable I have, the sound volume goes way up just
before the batteries give up the ghost. The increased volume only
happens for a minute or so before the set shuts off.

mike

--
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them!
Old July 12th 15, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ICF-7600D consumes under 100mA at normal operating conditions @6V DC. The voltage of a fully charged Eneloop (NiMH battery)is only 1.2 Volts.
Old July 13th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , nicola writes:
How much voltage do Eneloops loose after a week? This is my situation in
more detail.....

I have an old Sony digital shortwave radio from the 1980s which works
slightly better on alkalines but I use Eneloops because it's cheaper.

Eneloops last about 9 or 10 days before the radio won't switch on.

I alternate between 2 sets of Eneloops. Each week I take the used Eneloops
out of the radio and put in a new set which were charged the week before.

How much voltage will the week-old Eneloops have lost? I am more concerned
about losing radio perfomance (which is why I am asking about voltage) than
total charge.

Using voltage as a measure of remaining capacity is not really very reliable
with NiCad's and Nimh's. And in your case, knowing the enloops have a low
self-discharge rate (70-85% retained capacity after one year on the shelf)
is of no interest.

For NiCad's I believe we are warned to not discharge them below 0.8 volts,
which is considered effectively a "zero energy remaining" level, and my
guess is that eneloops are about the same. If you discharge a battery
(collection of multiple cells in series) too low, you may still get
energy from the strongest cells in the collection, but at the cost of
reverse charging, and therefore damaging, the weaker cells. Don't do
it.

Anyway, if you want to know how many teeth are in a horses mouth,
perhaps you want to get out your digital camera and see if you can
use that to help with counting them yourself.

George

Old July 14th 15, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015, nicola wrote:

How much voltage do Eneloops loose after a week? This is my situation in
more detail.....

I have plenty of Duracell precharged nimhs. People have said they were
rlabelled Eneloops, but I don't know.

I have a set in my Grundig/Eton G3. I charged them last year sometime. I
had the radio on last month, and it was fine. But otherwise I haven't
been using it.

I have another set in my Garmin GPS. I don't use it much either. But it
stays useful over a long time with the batteries not recharged.

Those Duracells come in a package that says they will stay charged up to a
year. I think I've opened up a package and been able to use them fine.

So I would say they have a pretty good life (assuming these are the
Eneloops).

Othr types of nimhs, they tend to need charging after time. And I bought
a set of 2600mA AA Duracells at one point, I had a gift card and I needed
six for my Grundig YB400, and those are awful. They never seemed to hold
a charge, so the better amp-hours meant nothing.

Michael

Old July 14th 15, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 01:02 13 Jul 2015, George Cornelius wrote:

In article , nicola
writes:
[...]

I wonder if my radio stops working even if the battery has a relatively
high voltage. I say this because I *guess* that modern electronics would
work at lower voltages.

This would mean the life I get from a set of cells might be much lower than
what similar modern radios get (such as your Grundig/Eton G3).

Old July 14th 15, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 13:49 12 Jul 2015, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

[...]

I had the somewhat unscientific but nevertheless distinct impression
that reception on my radio (Radio 4 FM and Radio 5 MW) got worse as the
battery ran down.

Drop this: Scott in Baltimore CB 2 November 16th 05 11:52 PM
FS Drop in Chargers Dick Swap 0 February 11th 04 02:48 PM
Just drop the code!!!!!!! Lloyd Davies The GREAT TIME LORD Policy 1 December 9th 03 08:36 PM
UK poised to drop CW Hamguy Swap 6 July 20th 03 01:51 PM
UK poised to drop CW Hamguy CB 0 July 18th 03 04:48 PM