Old December 31st 03, 04:43 PM
John Quinn

What would be a recommended height in an urban area? I'm in a
residential area, there aren't such things as large buildings, but
stuff like a two story house next door to my single floor home. I
don't want to get it too high and attract the attention of the City
Orindance Police.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:41:04 -0500, "J. McLaughlin"
wrote:

Dear John:
A wire antenna for short-wave (HF) that is ten feet above ground is
likely not to have strong directional preferences. In other words, the
orientation of the wire antenna is unlikely to make any significant
difference in your reception. However, if in an urban environment, some
orientations are likely to pick up more locally generated noise than
other orientations.
Experimentation is called for. More height is desirable. 73 Mac
N8TT