Old December 26th 03, 06:45 PM
John Quinn

Default Max Signal gain from my antenna?

Hi all,
I have a new Eavesdropper-T/Coax antenna that I'd like to install in
the attic. Whats the best way to lay it out to maximize the signals
from Europe? Also, is there a best practice way to lay it out to get
the best signal pickup from all over the world, and not just limit
ones self to Europe? I say Europe here as I think they have the most
numerous English spoken news stations. Thanks, Jay
Old December 28th 03, 03:32 PM
Crazy George

Jay:

It is not possible to give a useful answer to that question, since the RF
fields from the stations you want to hear are dramatically altered by the
surroundings (attic wiring, and any other conductive materials, even the
building materials). Installations of this type are strictly cut and try,
for this reason. Just moving the antenna a few feet can make remarkable
changes in the reception, and optimum for one station may well be bad for
another. Big antenna, high and in the clear is the only realistic answer to
your question.

Good luck anyway.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old December 29th 03, 09:33 PM
John Quinn

Ok, lets assume that I'll erect a couple of PVC poles to string the
guy nylon rope and 43'-0" wire antenna between, say, about 10 feet off
the ground and free and clear of anything screwing up the signal.
Then what would be the best layout if in Dallas, TX? Lay it out North
to South as to best pick up the European county broadcasts, being that
it's more or less due east of my location?

Old December 30th 03, 01:00 AM
Cecil Moore

John Quinn wrote:
Then what would be the best layout if in Dallas, TX? Lay it out North
to South as to best pick up the European county broadcasts, being that
it's more or less due east of my location?

For broadside reception from Europe to Texas, run your antenna NW to SE.
Radio waves tend to follow great circles, not lines of latitude.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 31st 03, 12:41 AM
J. McLaughlin

Dear John:
A wire antenna for short-wave (HF) that is ten feet above ground is
likely not to have strong directional preferences. In other words, the
orientation of the wire antenna is unlikely to make any significant
difference in your reception. However, if in an urban environment, some
orientations are likely to pick up more locally generated noise than
other orientations.
Experimentation is called for. More height is desirable. 73 Mac
N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

Old December 31st 03, 04:43 PM
John Quinn

What would be a recommended height in an urban area? I'm in a
residential area, there aren't such things as large buildings, but
stuff like a two story house next door to my single floor home. I
don't want to get it too high and attract the attention of the City
Orindance Police.

Old January 1st 04, 01:16 AM
J. McLaughlin

Dear John:
Under the conditions you have described, where you do not wish to
attract undesired attention, I would try for 20 to 30 feet of height. I
would also try to place the wire antenna so as to be away from likely
sources of noise. (Signal-to-noise ratio is the important factor.)
Trees, if any, could be a factor in occluding the antenna. I would also
select the color of the wire used for minimum visibility. The diameter
of the wire need be no more than what is required to keep the antenna
supported.
For what I think that you wish to do, I suggest that you use a
balanced antenna and not just a piece of wire with one end attached to
your receiver. In other words: use goals that include (1) a height for
much of the antenna of more than 20 feet; (2) an orientation that
minimizes visibility and that tries to keep distant from dwellings and
power poles; and (3) the use of a center fed, balanced, doublet type of
antenna that is fed at its center by a transmission line (for your
purposes, it makes little difference what kind of transmission line -
coax with a connector that is compatible with your receiver is the most
likely choice).
You might wish to make a sketch, based on measurements, of your back
yard. A centrally located tree would be an ideal place for the center
of the doublet. Do a bit of planning. If you use a doublet and keep
some distance from obvious noise sources, I doubt that the difference in
performance between the worst and best location in your back yard will
be significant.
Good luck. 73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA