Old January 23rd 16, 11:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Blade fuse sockets?

gareth wrote:
Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

I get them from eBay. Be careful when you check the wire size, I have gotten
some that had 3.5mm wire and came with a 30 amp fuse, that had 3.5mm OUTSIDE
diameter wire (inside they were good for about 10 amps). These are the ones
with wire leads with the fuse holder molded around it.

I keep a stock of, based on wire size, 10 amp, 20 amp and 30 amp sockets and
1,2,3,4,5,7.5,10,15,20,30 and 40 amp fuses. You can often get the 5-40 amp
fuses in a cheap package, but I had to order the 1-4 amp fuses by
individual value.

I would love to get some lower value blade fuses (1/4, 1/2 amp) but have never
seen them. This way they would fit in the same holders.

I also keep a stock of 100,200,300,400 and 500 ma wire lead fuses for
antenna projects, and 1-5,7.5 and 10 amp cartrige fuses (for older gear).

That sounds like a lot, but you can get decent ones from eBay vendors
cheaply if you don't mind the wait and uncertainty of China Post.

I personally would rather occasionally have a fuse blow when it should not
have, then have one that would never blow until the equipment being protected
went into melt down.

Geoff.