Old January 20th 16, 01:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Blade fuse sockets?

"Rambo" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:57:58 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/62

No excuses now; arrived today!

Old January 20th 16, 02:30 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/62

No excuses now; arrived today!

Did it come with a manual? Are all pages intact?

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old January 23rd 16, 11:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

gareth wrote:
Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

I get them from eBay. Be careful when you check the wire size, I have gotten
some that had 3.5mm wire and came with a 30 amp fuse, that had 3.5mm OUTSIDE
diameter wire (inside they were good for about 10 amps). These are the ones
with wire leads with the fuse holder molded around it.

I keep a stock of, based on wire size, 10 amp, 20 amp and 30 amp sockets and
1,2,3,4,5,7.5,10,15,20,30 and 40 amp fuses. You can often get the 5-40 amp
fuses in a cheap package, but I had to order the 1-4 amp fuses by
individual value.

I would love to get some lower value blade fuses (1/4, 1/2 amp) but have never
seen them. This way they would fit in the same holders.

I also keep a stock of 100,200,300,400 and 500 ma wire lead fuses for
antenna projects, and 1-5,7.5 and 10 amp cartrige fuses (for older gear).

That sounds like a lot, but you can get decent ones from eBay vendors
cheaply if you don't mind the wait and uncertainty of China Post.

I personally would rather occasionally have a fuse blow when it should not
have, then have one that would never blow until the equipment being protected
went into melt down.

Geoff.

Old January 24th 16, 02:23 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 23/01/16 23:44, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

I get them from eBay. Be careful when you check the wire size, I have gotten
some that had 3.5mm wire and came with a 30 amp fuse, that had 3.5mm OUTSIDE
diameter wire (inside they were good for about 10 amps). These are the ones
with wire leads with the fuse holder molded around it.

snipped for brevity

I use some of those, although I've been fortunate with the wire size.

With the wire 'tails' and a matching wire for the negative lead, they
are ideal to make 'take off' points from my 12V distribution system. One
end has crimped connectors to the distribution connector, the other
power poles.

The ones I use have the mini Blade Fuses, they are a bit neater and
compact.

With the ever increasing use of 5V for various things, I'm thinking of
adding a 5V distribution system. I may used power poles but with a
different orientation.

At the moment, I have a few of the Ebay 12V5V modules which I can
simply plug into the 12V system. However, a more 'generous' module could
supply a 5V distribution system.

There are also modules on Ebay which will step up to 19V or 16V to power
a laptop. Useful /M or if your 12V supply is battery backed in case of
mains failure. The modules are fine RFI wise, I've not noticed any
problems.