Old October 25th 03, 02:10 PM
AK

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
Forgive my rambling. Thanks for listening. Hope to have the privilege
of a live QSO with you sometime!

Thanks for all your comments, Steve. In recent years I've taught and helped
out with several Tech-plus classes. Enjoy seeing the enthusiasm of the young
people. Unfortunately, computers and the internet have grabbed away a lot of
potential hams, and many of the new-license candidates are retirees who were
interested in ham radio back when they were young, but never got the
license. When the dx isn't around or I feel a bit lazy at night, I crank the
code speed way down and go cq'ing where the remaining Novices and a lot of
tech plus folks hang out. I usually send out an unsolicited QSL after a
contact to the hams who sounds like they are just getting started. On voice,
I don't "correct" those using CB jargon, but do try to set a good example.
However, there was the old "Turkey Net" in Florida where non-conformist
protocol was standard; a lot of joking around, but we didn't interfere with
anyone and violated no rules.
73, Andy