Old November 25th 03, 09:04 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
It depends.

For running around town talking through your local repeater on VHF/UHF,
somewhere in the range of 5 to 50 watts will do the job. It depends on the
heights of the respective antennas and their distance apart.

For HF communications, usually 100 watts is adequate. When conditions are
very good, considerably less will be needed. When conditions are marginal,
you may have to go up in power (limit is 1500 watts) or switch to CW. If
conditions are very bad, you may just have to go read a book as all the
power in the world won't help.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I've been so busy studying for the tests that I haven't had much time
for anything else.

So far I obtained a Heathkit HW-8 and a keyer to start my shack. I
also have a SWR meter. I think a transmatch and dummy load will be
next on my list. What are other common accessories I will need
(besides an antenna)? Once I set up a dipole and get some
experience, I'll start looking at HF rigs.

My test was today & I passed elements 1, 2 & 3, I'd better get busy on
the antenna!!!!

Congratulations, and welcome aboard!

You have a keyer, do you have a set of paddles? Or is your keyer a
combination keyer & paddles in one unit?

That HW-8 is a tried-and-true rig, as you will no doubt find out. I've
had all three in that line (HW-7, -8 and -9). The HW-8 was produced by
the thousands back in Heathkit's heyday -- I'd bet it's well into the
top 10 of all-time best-sellers in their family. Too bad they're no
longer in the ham radio market. sigh

Since you're only talking about a few watts of power, you really don't
need much in the way of a dummy load. A 1-watt 50-ohm resistor is about
all you need!

Visit
www.amqrp.org -- that's the site of the American QRP Club, a
merger of the NJQRP and NorCal groups. You'll find a wealth of
information there on all facets of QRP operation. Covers little
homebrew stuff to the modern rigs like the Yaesu FT-817 and Elecraft K2.
Just about everything you'll need to know is there for the browsing.

Enjoy!

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS