Old February 8th 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default SONY ICF-2010 or Grundig 750

Michael wrote:
Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and the second for $285 new.

The last ICF-2010 was made about 20 years ago. While many people have them
that still work, and there is a Yahoo group dedicated to keeping them alive,
getting into one now may not be a good idea.

They are limited with 32 memories, and limited filtering. The dial light is
dim. It uses 3 D cells for the radio, and 3 AA batteries for memory/computer.
This makes it heavy and expensive to feed.

It is about 18dB less sensitive than a usual desktop radio (e.g. Kenwood
R5000, NRD 535).

It's sync detector is not the usual design, it is an AM Stereo decoder
chip re-tasked and desgined as a sideband splitter. It was designed to take
a signal with radically different information on the lower sideband and
split it from the upper. This gives it much better performance, not seen
on any other radio.

If I were going to buy a radio today, I would look at the Chinese portables
with finer tuning, DSP filters and 18650 rechargeable batteries.

Geoff.