Old February 7th 16, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SONY ICF-2010 or Grundig 750

Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and the second for $285 new.

Thanks.
Old February 7th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016, Michael wrote:

Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and the
second for $285 new.

It's hard to beat the 2010.

On the other hand, the 750 is one of the few recent desktop receives made,
so if you like a knob to spin, and traditional layout, it offers something
most recent receivers don't.

The 750 doesn't have a synchronous detector, which seems like a step back
for something that was a bit more expensive.

You should look at the selectivity of both. That is a factor, I'm not
sure if one is better than the other in that way.

Michael

Old February 7th 16, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael wrote in
:

Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and
the second for $285 new.

Thanks.

If you have a decent computer I would look for a software defined radio.
This one is pretty interesting:

http://www.sdrplay.com/

Jim(MI)
Old February 8th 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

Michael wrote in
:

Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and
the second for $285 new.

Thanks.

If you have a decent computer I would look for a software defined radio.
This one is pretty interesting:

http://www.sdrplay.com/

Jim(MI)

I have one, it works very well. For $150, it's a bargain.

--
BDK: Head Government Shill, Psychotronic World Dominator. Master of
Remote Viewing. Level 6 expert in kOOkStudies.
Old February 8th 16, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 11:16:10 AM UTC-6, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

Michael wrote in
:

Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and
the second for $285 new.

Thanks.

If you have a decent computer I would look for a software defined radio.
This one is pretty interesting:

http://www.sdrplay.com/

Jim(MI)

I have one, it works very well. For $150, it's a bargain.

I thought about this option but I guess I enjoy the romance of turning a knob on a radio and seeing what turns up.

Old February 8th 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael wrote:
Which is the better radio? I can get the first one for $250 used and the second for $285 new.

The last ICF-2010 was made about 20 years ago. While many people have them
that still work, and there is a Yahoo group dedicated to keeping them alive,
getting into one now may not be a good idea.

They are limited with 32 memories, and limited filtering. The dial light is
dim. It uses 3 D cells for the radio, and 3 AA batteries for memory/computer.
This makes it heavy and expensive to feed.

It is about 18dB less sensitive than a usual desktop radio (e.g. Kenwood
R5000, NRD 535).

It's sync detector is not the usual design, it is an AM Stereo decoder
chip re-tasked and desgined as a sideband splitter. It was designed to take
a signal with radically different information on the lower sideband and
split it from the upper. This gives it much better performance, not seen
on any other radio.

If I were going to buy a radio today, I would look at the Chinese portables
with finer tuning, DSP filters and 18650 rechargeable batteries.

Geoff.

Old February 8th 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I thought about this option but I guess I enjoy the romance of turning a
knob on a radio and seeing what turns up.

There are knob like Input devices around