Old January 8th 05, 01:37 AM
TOM

DSSS is nowhere near the best modulation format in the presence of
narrowband
interference. OFDM is far better suited in this case as was shown in ADSL
trials (examing the effects of cable crosstalk). We found the same during
our
amateur spread specturm experiments in Dallas in the 902-928 MHZ band in
the late 1990s where DSSS was far inferior to frequency hopping with bad
channel notching.

-- Tom, N5EG

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message

SNIP

I wonder why anyone is messing with these modes instead of doing DSSS,
now that we can digitally-process the daylights out of the received
signal instead of messing with analog filter banks or whatever. I've
been hoping for something even slower than PSK31, spread over an
entire ham band or even multiple bands. I'd think something like that
would be ultra-reliable through just about any amount of interference.