Old October 2nd 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default suppressor grid modulation?

Fred McKenzie wrote:

I suspect Suppressor Modulation may not be as bad as Scott thinks, or
else the example given was done at a low power stage.

It would have to be done at a low power stage, because when you are reducing
the carrier, you're shifting current from the plate to the screen and the
screen on most tubes is not really designed to sink much current. But even
so, it would still require a tube with a hefty screen grid... the 6AU6
would not last very long in that service.

I don't know how nonlinear it is, but I'm prepared to set up a jig on the
bench and find out!
--scott