Old March 29th 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc
W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [W2LJ] Technician class

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Technician class

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

Our Technician class ended last night with the administration of exams. It
was a mixed bag of results. At the beginning of the class, we had eleven
students. Two of the students were actually licensed during our last class
and were attending this class as a refresher in addition to home study in
preparation for taking the General class exam.

One student decided to take the exam a few weeks ago and passed. Another
student had to temporarily move up to Massachusetts because of a family
issue and is going to take the test up there. Three students couldn't make
it last night and are coming to our normal, monthly VE session, the next of
which will be on Saturday, April 14th. One was away competing in a track
and field event. I'm not sure what he plans to do about the exam.

So that left five students to take their exams last night. Four took the
Technician and one took the General. Three passed their Technician test and
the one student upgraded to General. The one who did not pass was crushed.
I am sorry to say. However, the good news is that a local hospital has had
some employees engage in a self study course. They are holding a one day
review and exam session this coming Friday. Our candidate was made aware
of that; and I am fairly sure she is going to attend. I think with a
little more review and pin pointed study; that she will be successful in
getting her license. It's not that she doesn't know the material, I think
she's just one of those people for whom taking tests is difficult. During
our classes she was always quick to answer practice questions correctly.
Put a test paper in front of her and the pressure mounts. Unfortunately,
that is a situation many of us face.

All our students who took the Tech exam and passed, also took the General
exam. We tell them that it is normal for most new Techs who have not
studied for the General to get about 50% of the answers correct. One of our
new Techs missed his General by one question! He will also be coming back
on April 14th and I'm sure he'll pass with flying colors.

It will be interesting to see the results from this Friday and April 14th.
It's always our goal as instructors that everyone who attends our classes
walks away with their ticket. I hope that holds true.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!