Old March 29th 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [W2LJ] Technician class

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Technician class

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

Our Technician class ended last night with the administration of exams. It
was a mixed bag of results. At the beginning of the class, we had eleven
students. Two of the students were actually licensed during our last class
and were attending this class as a refresher in addition to home study in
preparation for taking the General class exam.

One student decided to take the exam a few weeks ago and passed. Another
student had to temporarily move up to Massachusetts because of a family
issue and is going to take the test up there. Three students couldn't make
it last night and are coming to our normal, monthly VE session, the next of
which will be on Saturday, April 14th. One was away competing in a track
and field event. I'm not sure what he plans to do about the exam.

So that left five students to take their exams last night. Four took the
Technician and one took the General. Three passed their Technician test and
the one student upgraded to General. The one who did not pass was crushed.
I am sorry to say. However, the good news is that a local hospital has had
some employees engage in a self study course. They are holding a one day
review and exam session this coming Friday. Our candidate was made aware
of that; and I am fairly sure she is going to attend. I think with a
little more review and pin pointed study; that she will be successful in
getting her license. It's not that she doesn't know the material, I think
she's just one of those people for whom taking tests is difficult. During
our classes she was always quick to answer practice questions correctly.
Put a test paper in front of her and the pressure mounts. Unfortunately,
that is a situation many of us face.

All our students who took the Tech exam and passed, also took the General
exam. We tell them that it is normal for most new Techs who have not
studied for the General to get about 50% of the answers correct. One of our
new Techs missed his General by one question! He will also be coming back
on April 14th and I'm sure he'll pass with flying colors.

It will be interesting to see the results from this Friday and April 14th.
It's always our goal as instructors that everyone who attends our classes
walks away with their ticket. I hope that holds true.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Old May 8th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 3/29/2018 1:56 PM, W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

Â*Â* W2LJ QRPÂ* -Â* When you care to send the very least!

Technician class

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

Our Technician class ended last night with the administration of exams.
It was a mixed bag of results. At the beginning of the class, we had
eleven students. Two of the students were actually licensed during our
last class and were attending this class as a refresher in addition to
home study in preparation for taking the General class exam.

One student decided to take the exam a few weeks ago and passed. Another
student had to temporarily move up to Massachusetts because of a family
issue and is going to take the test up there. Three students couldn't
make it last night and are coming to our normal, monthly VE session, the
next of which will be on Saturday, April 14th.Â* One was away competing
in a track and field event. I'm not sure what he plans to do about the
exam.

So that left five students to take their exams last night. Four took the
Technician and one took the General. Three passed their Technician test
and the one student upgraded to General.Â* The one who did not pass was
crushed. I am sorry to say. However, the good news is that a local
hospital has had some employees engage in a self study course. They are
holding a one day review and exam session this coming Friday.Â* Our
candidate was made aware of that; and I am fairly sure she is going to
attend.Â* I think with a little more review and pin pointed study; that
she will be successful in getting her license.Â* It's not that she
doesn't know the material, I think she's just one of those people for
whom taking tests is difficult.Â* During our classes she was always quick
to answer practice questions correctly.Â* Put a test paper in front of
her and the pressure mounts. Unfortunately, that is a situation many of
us face.

All our students who took the Tech exam and passed, also took the
General exam.Â* We tell them that it is normal for most new Techs who
have not studied for the General to get about 50% of the answers
correct. One of our new Techs missed his General by one question!Â* He
will also be coming back on April 14th and I'm sure he'll pass with
flying colors.

It will be interesting to see the results from this Friday and April
14th.Â* It's always our goal as instructors that everyone who attends our
classes walks away with their ticket.Â* I hope that holds true.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

I am a retired college math prof, I will admit. One of the things I had
a lot of trouble getting colleagues to believe is that some people just
are not good at taking tests, that it is a separate skill from the math
or ham radio or whatever the exam is about. So when we teach our
Technician and General classes, I try to throw in some hints about
taking tests, not just the technical material. Is there any way you can
get her some help with test taking? There are a few decent books (whose
names I cannot remember right now in my senility...) that have ideas
beyond "stay calm" and other trivia.
Bob W, WA9D