Old July 21st 18, 03:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Gareth's Downstairs Computer Gareth's Downstairs Computer is offline

Default 50 years' Vapourware : To whom it may concern, "ParticularsWithheld"

On 21/07/2018 15:22, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
After a hiatus of many months (years, even) I am resuming
the now 53 year old dream of my own comms RX in the old style,
although this time I am buying off-the-shelf gears (actually
fairly cheap via amazon*****) instead of cutting my own.

So, whoever you are or were, once again, many thanks for
the free gift of the 4-gang 500pF condenser, a gift for
which I remain grateful and which generosity I had not forgotten.

So, in the first instance I will be producing an ersatz
chinky copy of the Eddystone 898 tuning dial, something
which we homebrewers would salivat over in the 1960s

73 de Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

*****HPC Gears used to be the preferred source for Brit.

.... ^Xed this out, sorry ...

I have a 455 kHz IF strip to borrow from in a scrap HB RX
bought for a song at the Sherborne QRP Rally some years back.

This has a 2 Xtal lattice filter for SSB, and it seems to me that
with suitable switching it could be a single Xtal (with phasing
condenser) for CW, and with both switched out, a suitable
bandwidth for AM / NBFM reception.

Being the proud owner of a TS130 with all the optional IF filters
added, I'm no longer satisfied with just audio filtering for CW.

The trouble with vapourware dreaming is that I've probably discussed
all this several times before, which is a cue for the usual nonces
who stalk me to whichever Usenet NGs I inhabit :-(