Old July 21st 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 50 years' Vapourware : To whom it may concern, "Particulars Withheld"

After a hiatus of many months (years, even) I am resuming
the now 53 year old dream of my own comms RX in the old style,
although this time I am buying off-the-shelf gears (actually
fairly cheap via amazon*****) instead of cutting my own.

So, whoever you are or were, once again, many thanks for
the free gift of the 4-gang 500pF condenser, a gift for
which I remain grateful and which generosity I had not forgotten.

So, in the first instance I will be producing an ersatz
chinky copy of the Eddystone 898 tuning dial, something
which we homebrewers would salivat over in the 1960s

73 de Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

*****HPC Gears used to be the preferred source for Brit.
Old July 21st 18, 03:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 21/07/2018 15:22, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
After a hiatus of many months (years, even) I am resuming
the now 53 year old dream of my own comms RX in the old style,
although this time I am buying off-the-shelf gears (actually
fairly cheap via amazon*****) instead of cutting my own.

So, whoever you are or were, once again, many thanks for
the free gift of the 4-gang 500pF condenser, a gift for
which I remain grateful and which generosity I had not forgotten.

So, in the first instance I will be producing an ersatz
chinky copy of the Eddystone 898 tuning dial, something
which we homebrewers would salivat over in the 1960s

73 de Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

*****HPC Gears used to be the preferred source for Brit.

.... ^Xed this out, sorry ...

I have a 455 kHz IF strip to borrow from in a scrap HB RX
bought for a song at the Sherborne QRP Rally some years back.

This has a 2 Xtal lattice filter for SSB, and it seems to me that
with suitable switching it could be a single Xtal (with phasing
condenser) for CW, and with both switched out, a suitable
bandwidth for AM / NBFM reception.

Being the proud owner of a TS130 with all the optional IF filters
added, I'm no longer satisfied with just audio filtering for CW.

The trouble with vapourware dreaming is that I've probably discussed
all this several times before, which is a cue for the usual nonces
who stalk me to whichever Usenet NGs I inhabit :-(

Old July 21st 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news
After a hiatus of many months (years, even) I am resuming
the now 53 year old dream of my own comms RX in the old style,
although this time I am buying off-the-shelf gears (actually
fairly cheap via amazon*****) instead of cutting my own.

So, whoever you are or were, once again, many thanks for
the free gift of the 4-gang 500pF condenser, a gift for
which I remain grateful and which generosity I had not forgotten.

So, in the first instance I will be producing an ersatz
chinky copy of the Eddystone 898 tuning dial, something
which we homebrewers would salivat over in the 1960s

73 de Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

*****HPC Gears used to be the preferred source for Brit.

I wouldn't bother...

Old July 21st 18, 04:07 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 21/07/2018 16:03, Jimbo in Bracknell .... wrote:
"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news
After a hiatus of many months (years, even) I am resuming
the now 53 year old dream of my own comms RX in the old style,
although this time I am buying off-the-shelf gears (actually
fairly cheap via amazon*****) instead of cutting my own.

So, whoever you are or were, once again, many thanks for
the free gift of the 4-gang 500pF condenser, a gift for
which I remain grateful and which generosity I had not forgotten.

So, in the first instance I will be producing an ersatz
chinky copy of the Eddystone 898 tuning dial, something
which we homebrewers would salivat over in the 1960s

73 de Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

*****HPC Gears used to be the preferred source for Brit.

I wouldn't bother...

A good point, well put.

If I can get this RX out of my system, then I can put
amateur radio to bed forever and concentrate on my
horology and computing projects, although having acquired
an 1836 longcase 8-day clock, not so sure I want to build another,
especially as SWMBO complains about the chiming of all the
mantelpiece clocks :-)

Old July 23rd 18, 05:13 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Gareth's Downstairs Computer headstone255.but.n
Wrote in message:
On 21/07/2018 16:03, Jimbo in Bracknell .... wrote:
"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news
[...]

Good man...good luck with your projects.

Old July 23rd 18, 05:17 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

news
Wrote in message:
On 21/07/2018 16:03, Jimbo in Bracknell .... wrote:
"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news After a hiatus of many months (years, even) I am resuming
[...]

hurry back ......