Old December 18th 04, 04:54 PM
Dave Bushong

James F. Chumbley wrote:
Try making recordings of code practice groups you yourself "send" using a
code practice oscillator. This way you learn what your own keying sounds
like.

Turn the lights down low and imagine that you are in Norway sending
essential messages to England's SOE. It sounds silly, perhaps, but it does
work.

One more thing. Try singing, yes, singing the letters as you hear them.
Singing uses an entirely different section of our brain's memory than does
listening to speech. Sounds absurd, but the Russians proved this by
observing a veteran of WWII, who could not speak because of an horrific
wound to a portion of his brain. The doctors were astonished to observe him
singing songs he learned as a child.

Jim, N6UF

Jim,

I've always believed that people who were musically-inclined (and
specifically, people who play music) were more easily able to learn the
code. I didn't have any reason to believe that, other than a
coincidence I noticed from the newcomers I've taught. By jove, maybe
you've got something there!

I learned CW as a cub scout and later got my novice ticket at age 13. I
also feel that when a person learns something as a kid, he/she will
remember it for life. Us older f*rts may not even be able to learn it
in the first place, much less remember it.

For example, where did I leave my car keys yesterday?

73,
kz1o