Old January 26th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bob Wilson Bob Wilson is offline

Default [KB6NU] ARRL Board Dumps CEO

On 1/20/2020 1:05 PM, KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

ARRL Board Dumps CEO

This morning, a post inaptly (ineptly?) titled, Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to
Become ARRL Interim CEO, appeared on the ARRL website. It reads:

At its meeting this weekend, the ARRL Board of Directors did not elect
Howard Michel, WB2ITX, as the ARRL Chief Executive Officer. Beginning
Monday, January 20, Barry Shelley, N1VXY, will become interim CEO. Mr.
Shelley was ARRL’s Chief Financial Officer for 28 years and CEO during
2018 before his retirement. The board has created a search committee to
select the next CEO. More details on this and other matters which took
place at the board meeting will be released shortly.

Howard Michel, WB2ITX, who was dumped by the ARRL board at the January
2020 meeting.

My first reaction to this was, WTF? (Ask me privately if you dont get
the acronym.) I dont know about you, but I saw no reason to fire WB2ITX.
I thought he was doingÂ* a pretty good job, especially compared to the
previous CEO. And, in fact, I was getting ready to contact him about the
national club coordinator position that he proposed in his January 2020
QST column.

According to some, his selection was not without controversy. I hadnt
heard about this, but one ARRL director that I emailed today about this
matter said, Unfortunately we cannot comment on personnel matters. What
I can say is that I personally am committed to ensuring we have a swift,
decisive, transparent search process, which is a key difference from the
last time.

Whether or not board members can comment on this because it is a
personnel matter, ARRL members are really owed a complete explanation. I
dont think that Im the only one who thinks this looks really bad for the
ARRL and the board. Ill ask the same question Ive asked before, What the
heck were they thinking?

The post ARRL Board Dumps CEO appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

I was also surprised. Michel was actively pushing the ham community to
think of the future and how we need to work on bringing in young people,
and things related to that. Rationally I agreed to that, but at the same
time some of his changes upset my old (Novice in 1957) bones and I
suspect others were yet more upset. But I hope we are not headed back
into the situation a couple of years ago, where board members were not
allowed to talk about events and decisions.
Bob W