Old January 20th 20, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] ARRL Board Dumps CEO

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

ARRL Board Dumps CEO

This morning, a post inaptly (ineptly?) titled, Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to
Become ARRL Interim CEO, appeared on the ARRL website. It reads:

At its meeting this weekend, the ARRL Board of Directors did not elect
Howard Michel, WB2ITX, as the ARRL Chief Executive Officer. Beginning
Monday, January 20, Barry Shelley, N1VXY, will become interim CEO. Mr.
Shelley was ARRL’s Chief Financial Officer for 28 years and CEO during 2018
before his retirement. The board has created a search committee to select
the next CEO. More details on this and other matters which took place at
the board meeting will be released shortly.

Howard Michel, WB2ITX, who was dumped by the ARRL board at the January 2020
meeting.

My first reaction to this was, WTF? (Ask me privately if you dont get the
acronym.) I dont know about you, but I saw no reason to fire WB2ITX. I
thought he was doingÂ* a pretty good job, especially compared to the
previous CEO. And, in fact, I was getting ready to contact him about the
national club coordinator position that he proposed in his January 2020 QST
column.

According to some, his selection was not without controversy. I hadnt heard
about this, but one ARRL director that I emailed today about this matter
said, Unfortunately we cannot comment on personnel matters. What I can say
is that I personally am committed to ensuring we have a swift, decisive,
transparent search process, which is a key difference from the last time.

Whether or not board members can comment on this because it is a personnel
matter, ARRL members are really owed a complete explanation. I dont think
that Im the only one who thinks this looks really bad for the ARRL and the
board. Ill ask the same question Ive asked before, What the heck were they
thinking?

The post ARRL Board Dumps CEO appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Old January 20th 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy

(Adding rec.radio.amateur.policy.)

In (KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) writes:

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

ARRL Board Dumps CEO

[...]

Howard Michel, WB2ITX, who was dumped by the ARRL board at the January 2020
meeting.

[...]

Whether or not board members can comment on this because it is a personnel
matter, ARRL members are really owed a complete explanation. I don't think
that I'm the only one who thinks this looks really bad for the ARRL and the
board. Ill ask the same question I've asked before, What the heck were they
thinking?

Unfortunately, for better or worse, organizations like the ARRL are
representative governance, not pure democracies, and even our membership
dues and voting rights don't change that. We can vote for or against
directors, we can run for director, we can instigate member revolts or
lawsuits, we can even choose to resign from the organization, but we're
not legally (or even ethically) entitled to know every little detail
about how organizations are run. Especially about confidential matters
like personnel decisions in paid employment, where privacy laws and
civil liability for violating them, may apply if a "complete
explanation" is given.

WB2ITX may talk, or he may choose professional restraint and remain
silent. He, or even someone else with standing on the matter, might
even choose to sue the ARRL. But there's no default guarantee or
expectation that we will know all the facts, only that the directors
deliberated and came to a decision that, though we might not agree with
it, was likely lawful and an appropriate exercise of board prerogative.

(73, Paul, K3FU)

- --
Paul W. Schleck

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Old January 26th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy

On 1/20/2020 1:05 PM, KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

[...]

I was also surprised. Michel was actively pushing the ham community to
think of the future and how we need to work on bringing in young people,
and things related to that. Rationally I agreed to that, but at the same
time some of his changes upset my old (Novice in 1957) bones and I
suspect others were yet more upset. But I hope we are not headed back
into the situation a couple of years ago, where board members were not
allowed to talk about events and decisions.
Bob W